Plant catalogues?

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Mrs B

Plant catalogues?

Post by Mrs B »

I was browsing a plant catalogue and wash shocked at the price of some plants, £10 for a 7-9cm pot with a small plant, for £3 more I can get a really decent sized plant from a garden centre.

Am I just looking at the wrong catalogues?

I don't want seeds and I don't mind plug plants for things like lobelia (sp) but for say a hydrangea I want something of a reasonable size.

I quite liked the idea of mail order plants as they are sent out at the correct time for planting so I don't get told off by Maggie for getting plants too early.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Plant catalogues?

Post by Benny&Co »

I've never used them MrsB.

Like the sounds of them sending out plugs at the right time to plant out though )t' :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Mrs B wrote:Am I just looking at the wrong catalogues?

yes and no - online suppliers can be very expensive, some like Marshall's and T&M are a bit upmarket. Mr Fothergills, DT Brown and (sometimes) Dobies/Suttons are a little cheaper but not a lot - but when they have special offers, they can be very good value. However, watch out for that p&p - I would rather have free p&p and then see what's on offer. You can subscribe to their sites and get e-mails ... sometimes a nuisance but also they let you know when they have special offers on (also have a look on their website under special offers - might be quiet at the moment as there's not a lot growing at this time of year ready for sale)

I get monthly RHS newsletter e-mails (I don't remember subscribing but it may have been when I participated in one of their veg trials a few years back) and there's been some really good bargains from Mr Fothergills in the newsletter - a couple of months ago I bought some rhubarb from their special offer - I just copied the code from the e-mail and it was free p&p as well )t'
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

The few times I've bought plants mail order, they have been really disappointing - poor quality.
For something like a hydrangea which is going to be with you for some time, I'd much rather go to a nursery and see what I am getting, choose a plant with a good shape etc.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Hydrangeas Mrs B - get a cutting of a friend they are very easy and grow into a good sized plant pretty quickly.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Thanks everyone, I shall stick to my usual method of drooling at garden centre (then settling for cake instead) and crossing my fingers that Leedle or Aldiddidi stock what I need soon.

I have a feeling out local Fire Station hold a plant sale for bedding plants so will have to sit on hands until then.

I have just been out tidying the garden but the pots look so bare.

Thanks for the tips LL.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Car boots should be starting in a few weeks ,usually find what you are looking for there.

Like the expression drooling at the garden centre ,then settling for a cake instead :-D
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

billnorfolk wrote:Car boots should be starting in a few weeks ,usually find what you are looking for there.

Like the expression drooling at the garden centre ,then settling for a cake instead :-D

Car boots around here are just rubbish unfortunately.

I ave never had a bad result with cake, it never lets me down. >ck<
urbanchicks
Longlasting Laner

Post by urbanchicks »

The Daily Telegraph gardening site has some very good plants at reasonable prices,also J Parker bulbs in Manchester (they do all sorts of plants).

Maggie
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Thanks Urban Maggie