Looking for advice re panic attack

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
sazchops
Legendary Laner

Looking for advice re panic attack

Post by sazchops »

Sorry should have posted in health.
Just looking for advice on what is a panic attack and are they dangerous? Fast heart beat etc
Sarah - slave to Cats Anthony, Elsa and Pippa, Chickens, Heidi, Fleur, Gabby and Marmite, R.I.P Cadbury
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Looking for advice re panic attack

Post by Annie »

Saz I am not a nurse so can't advise but I think maybe a little more to go on would help with an answer.
There are more than one reasons why you get rapid heartbeat.
Are you asking because you experienced this or someone else ?
Was any pain experienced ?
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Hiya.. I'm certainly no expert but my Dad did suffer from panic attacks for a while and my Sister had a couple.. I know my sister thought she was having a heart attack and her oh rushed her to hospital. She was given a paper bag to breath in to because she was hyperventilating - she said she felt like a fool but apperently the symptoms are really frightening and horrible.
I dont think they are dangerous but I'm sure one of our nurses on here will be able to give more advice {hug}
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

This may give you more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_attack
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Hi Saz, my advice (as usual as a nurse) is to get a proper diagnosis from a GP. As others have said there can be many reasons for fast heartbeat etc so its worth checking these symptoms out with a health professional face to face.
There are various coping strategies for those who suffer from panic attacks, thankfully I've never had them but as far as im aware it's often a case of finding whichever one works for you. {hug}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
sazchops
Legendary Laner

Post by sazchops »

Let see if I can explain.
I have always had bad asthma.
I know when I need rescue and have a nebulisor. Have been told occasionally that I am panicking.
Recently have felt that I can distract myself with things like bejeweled. Things I need to concentrate on.
3 days ago I felt my heart beat pounding. Felt I couldn't breathe. I kept taking my inhaler. and my tablets. I know this can raise my heart beat, so tried my distraction technics. This didn't help and I continued to feel this way for a few hours. Now whenever I think about it, which is a lot my heart pounds.
It is like I say to myself, you are panicking, calm down. And that stresses me.
Catch 22 I think.
Sarah - slave to Cats Anthony, Elsa and Pippa, Chickens, Heidi, Fleur, Gabby and Marmite, R.I.P Cadbury
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Sounds as if it may be time to get some advice from the GP Saz. If you have been able to manage your conditions up until now, has anything else changed , are you under any particular stress (not prying , no need to answer that) at the moment ?
Maybe you could do with an ecg (?) to trace your heart rythms just to be on the safe side.
Of course now its an added worry and thats not helpful either is it ?
See your Dr and get your mind put at rest is my advice. x
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

That must be a horrible feeling saz {hug} is it worth speaking to whoever manages your asthma to see if they have experience of this?
I'm sure there will be some members who will have suffered similar to this who may give you some more advice. Take care
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

I had a run of panic attacks years ago for no apparent reason. They came on when I was out in public only and I have walked away from many a trolley load of shopping because I couldn't stand in the checkout queue any longer. The attacks never lasted for very long because I was able to remove myself from the thing that triggered them.

I talk to a few people when they're in the middle of an attack and I know how scary they can be.

You'll feel better if you take professional advice so as other have said, that probably needs to be done fairly soon.

Just a thought - if you tell someone how bad you're feeling does it get better? That's why people ring us because it's a sort of safety valve if they have not-one else to confide in.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Hi Saz, its so scary being unable to get your breath and having a panic attack. My advice same as others, you should see you GP, if nothing else it will help to put your mind at rest. {hug} {hug}
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

I suffered panic attacks whilst being treated for depression......the trick of carrying a paper bag does really work!!!!It has to be paper though....can't remember why.They are not dangerous in themselves but as has been said they are worth mentioning to your gp {hug}
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

Hi Sazchops
Panic attack are really scary, but you seem to understand how to deal with your asthma and the panic that this can cause.

Something has changed so you do need to get it checked out. Hormones can affect things as well, so if you are having other symptoms of hormone problems it worth mentioning them.

{hug} {hug} {hug}
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Poor Saz {cry}

You've had a lot on your plate recently, with your back going and the chest infection and now your asthma.

I'd advise the same as the others hun, go and see your GP.

Here's some information about panic attacks that may help

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/Pages/coping-with-panic-attacks.aspx

Sending you a big {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

No experience of panic attacks, but wanted to send you some {hug} {hug} {hug} . Please take care. {hug}
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

And from me {hug} {hug} {hug}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway