Introducing Chicky

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Georgina
Lively Laner

Re: Introducing Chicky

Post by Georgina »

Well the girls have been here a week now and have settled in well.

Madge - not the timid little hen any more! Quite happy to go exploring the garden on her own but mainly potters around in it with Chicky. The pair of them were in the side area (driveway and steep grassy bank, gate to the back garden and front garden) while I was working out there on Sunday and she was not at all bothered by the dogs running around playing with a ball near her.

Ninja - more of a loner. Fine with the others but does not join in their garden expeditions just takes herself off for a wander - she seems to like being under the massive bush and so does Jed but she is happy to be under there with him.

We had 3 eggs for a couple of days then it dropped to 2, which I was not surprised about as Chicky has been mainly "off" laying for months now. I'm not bothered whether we gets any eggs really as they were brought in for Chicky, so when it then dropped to one egg a day that was fine by me - after all the new girls are around 2 years old - then yesterday there were signs that the Egg Thief has resurfaced! A small Cavalier with wood shavings on her chest, and there is only one place they could have come from apart from the locked shed! Sure enough this morning I could not find her in the house so made my way out to the run and lifted the nest box lid - in time to see her in there ready to tuck into a warm egg!

Chicky had an adventure this morning, I had gone out to get something from the car and knew the dogs had followed me. Got them back in and shut the gate. At lunchtime I went to take them out and did my normal check on the hens before loading the dogs - no Chicky! Called her and she did not race up from the bottom of the garden the way she does - then I happened to look back towards the house and there she was on the wrong side of the gate! She must have followed me out and dived behind the caravan so I did not see her then spent a couple of hours out there on her own! The silly thing is I can see half of the area from my office window and she definitely did not show herself in that part of it while I was working! She raced back into the run to tell the others all about it while the dogs and I went to the beach.

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Goodness thank goodness Chicky didn't wander any further. It's wonderful to hear they are all getting along, you are right I don't worry if I have eggs or not
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Bet she embroidered on the story she told the others {rofwl}
LYN
Georgina
Lively Laner

Post by Georgina »

The girls seem very happy together. While they all like to potter off on their own from time to time the three of them often hang around together as well. The new girls are now used to the dogs (they had been free range with dogs before they came to me so just needed to adjust from farm dogs to my motley crew). Only Chicky comes racing up the garden if I call her so when it gets warmer I will do a bit of recall training with the others {rofwl} . The other day when I went into the conservatory there was a chicken on the window ledge looking in - Madge!
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Great news Chicky has found new friends and they all get along )t' I am interested in this training, will you be putting up jumps or a written exam?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Georgina
Lively Laner

Post by Georgina »

I think the dogs would steal the girls' pencils if it was a written one so we will have to revert to the "on site assessment" method with anyone coming when their name is called getting some mealworms :-D