Plant in a mug?

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
LisaB

Plant in a mug?

Post by LisaB »

I recently purchased a chicken mug ( :oops: ) which was faulty and I got sent a replacement, so was wondering what I could use the fault one for.

The mug is fairly big and really sweet, so wouldn't like to throw it away. Is there anything I would be able to grow in this? Maybe a cactus or something?

Anyone have any ideas?

rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Re: Plant in a mug?

Post by rhubarb93 »

How about some mustard and cress, or peashoots (easily grown from dried peas from supermarket) or maybe some rocket?
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

The problem with ceramics for plants is the drainage, I am guessing as its a mug that there are no holes in the bottom - unless that was the fault {rofwl} .
Cactus using the right compost medium and only little watering might work.
Or get a small plastic plant pot to fit inside the mug, then you can water the plant outside of the mug , let it drain and replace it.
Or I have seen air plants, that you just mist, these normally come as part of an arrangement but I guess you can buy them just as they are.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Thanks for the ideas :-D

I'm relying on my dad to drill some holes in the bottom without breaking it )grin2( Sitting a plastic plant pot in there might be an idea though!!

I do really like cacti, does anyone remember when q&b used to sell them with little eyes stuck on them? :oops: That was the only reason I went there as a child!

Is there any that remain small?
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Use it as a pencil pot
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

A post on here a while ago Image
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Mrs B wrote:Use it as a pencil pot

I have a whole draw for all my arty things so all the pencils go on there :-D
See Mrs B, I am tidy!
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Personally I would do what Annie says and get a plastic pot with holes in that fits inside. Then you have plenty of options to plant from herbs, bulbs, alpine or even a creeper called mind your own business.
Also a problem with drilling holes in pots isn't always successful.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I've drilled holes in cups before - masking tape over both sides, go very slowly, I use a glass/ceramic drill bit.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.