Did It Myself and A Bit Frugal

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Did It Myself and A Bit Frugal

Post by Totally Scrambled »

The cold snap before Christmas finally did for the tops of my chimney stacks so I have had to get someone in to rebuild them. The bricky said whoever had done it before had used the wrong bricks, soft ones instead of hard, so they just crumbled.
Anyway he's done one stack so far and done a very good job of it and as it was the one with the TV aerial attached to it I thought it might be a good idea to renew the aerial, cable etc. while it was easy to get to it with the scaffolding up as the old aerial has been up for at least twenty years.
I rang a couple of installers who wanted £150 upwards to do the job so thought I'd look into doing it myself.
I found a company online in Sheffield who supply everything you'd need and who were very helpful going through everything to make sure I had what I needed. They didn't try to sell me the most expensive equipment or stuff I didn't need, had a wealth of useful pages on their site explaining everything and said I could call them if I still needed advice while doing the job.
I ordered just after 3pm and the stuff arrived by 11am the next day which was impressive.
I've been up on the roof today fitting it all and best of all it works and we have a better picture than before.
The best bit was the price £74 including P&P for aerial, bracket and lashing kit to attach it to the stack, cable, external splitter box, clips and plugs which I thought was a pretty good price.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Did It Myself and A Bit Frugal

Post by Annie »

If I wore one I would take my hat off to you Dom, the mere thought of being up on a roof would give me the collywobbles .
Nice feeling of satisfaction tonight then I should think )t'
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Well done you Dom! I have no idea about ariels as mine is 30 years old and I use a satelite dish for my freesat.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

Well done you - that's very brave .. the thought of climbing up on a roof makes me shudder .. wasn't that how Rod Hull (of Emu fame) died ? He fell off if I remember rightly trying to sort out his aerial :?
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

julie62 wrote:Well done you - that's very brave .. the thought of climbing up on a roof makes me shudder .. wasn't that how Rod Hull (of Emu fame) died ? He fell off if I remember rightly trying to sort out his aerial :?

Ah but he didn't have scaffolding up. Even I wouldn't be stupid enough to climb on a roof without it.
Dom
Ali Woks My World