is there such a thing as a natural flea deterent/killer?

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Emma
Lively Laner

is there such a thing as a natural flea deterent/killer?

Post by Emma »

Hi all,

Next doors cat has fleas, and since she visits regulary our house has fleas too. Poppy is being treated by our neighbours, and we've been combing her everyday. Does anyone know of succesful natural flea deterents/killers as I'm not keen on filling my house with chemicals?

thank you in advance,
Emma
manda

Post by manda »

Eucalyptus and teatree are good for treating fleas on animals. You can make up a spray and give them a squirt regularly. The other thing I have heard is if you hoover your house with mothballs in the bag (or if it's bagless in the container...just leave it to settle before you empty it as apparently the fumes from the moth balls can be ugh!). Apparently hoovering with mothballs regularly keeps them away....don't know if that's true.
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

if you do apply those oils to the animal make sure theyre diluted!!

my neighbours cat kept bringing them into my place and i put frontline on his cat, (mine already had frontline) and ive not seen a flea since. he has now bought some frontline! phew!

good luck

kat x
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Garlic! :shock:
Small steps lead to big changes
wendy

Post by wendy »

I was about to say the same Morph!
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Funnily enough I was reading "Your cat" this morning (yes I'm sad and have a subscription!!!)

It mentions garlic as being a natural antisceptic and useful for fleas and other nasties - however doesn't recommend it for long term use. (not dangerous, just advice)
Now, you're going to ask me why - and I've forgotten, so will have another look at it and let you know! :oops:
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

It can thin the blood if used too much!
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

I must mention that you REALLY should use the smallest amounts of Essential oils when treating animals, Cats in particular (their Livers cant cope with it apparently!!)
However, I made up a flea powder, using corn flour, Geranium, Tea-Tree Essentila Oils.
I also give my animals a garlic capsule once a week as a preventative measure in the summer only.
hope this helps!
chucky egg
Longlasting Laner

Post by chucky egg »

Lavendar is supposed to be a deterent too. Placed around the house and on the animal. I have to say that as a deterent it does seem to work but if you've already got 'em....a bit late! Yes I do know this from experience! :oops:
The cat that we took in had loads of fleas ( and worms). It was the middle of winter and I couldn't leave her out any longer - once we knew she was a stray - until they'd gone...so itch itch itch...
smell the commercial stuff - it has that hint of lavendar in it too...
Wendy (Chucky Egg)
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

Diatomaceous Earth!!
just got my delivery!! :-D
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

....where did you order it from??
Jodi
Lively Laner

Post by Jodi »

You can treat the carpets and animals over and over again, as I did in my last house - but they keep coming back.

In the end, I ripped up the carpets (bit extreme I know, but was soooooo sick of them) put tiles down and, treated all the garden beds aswell, mulched beds are a good breeding ground for fleas. Resullt - no fleas.

My current home has very little carpet, gets regular sprays of diluted eucalyptus oil (beds, curtains and furniture) and we haven't had fleas in the seven years we've lived here. Hooray!

Good luck :-D

cheers
Jodi
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

Geddauk wrote:....where did you order it from??

a certain auction site! :-D

was shipped over from america but worked out cheaper to wait a couple of weeks then have it delivered within a week from the uk!
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

Blimey! Will have to do a search....
maderedundant
Lively Laner

Post by maderedundant »

Heres one for the carpet I tried and strangely it worked. I did have the luxury of being able to leave it on for a couple of days though.
Sprinkle bicarbonate of soda all over the carpet and leave for a few hours.
The bicarb apparently dries all the fleas and their larvae up, so you can just suck them all up when you hoover the carpet later in the day.
Do it again about a week later just in case you've missed any eggs that have hatched.
I've not had any since then.
A word of warning, my carpet only has a very short pile so it came up quite easily. I don't know how well it would work with a thick pile carpet.

Paul