Hairy Duo's diet programme

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Hairy Duo's diet programme

Post by Freeranger »

I recorded the hairy duo's diet series, and have found it quite inspiring as I'm playing it back. Their attitude is that you can cut out fat (in particular) and calories but add loads of flavours so that nothing seems like a second-rate diet version. They dry fry, remove skin and fat from meat, add flavour by marinating and using herbs/spices etc.
Does anyone have any tips like these to share?
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Re: Hairy Duo's diet programme

Post by Homemade »

yes cutting back meat and dairy helps on the calorie front.

We use a lot of lentils as mince substitutes - you can 1/2 the meat in mixes like spag bol if you add puy lentils and not notice if you don't want to stop meat entirely. In fact we are now so used to this that we don't bother with meat in stews or curries. For chunky meat substitutes we use squash or sweet potato.

We definitely use more garlic and spices now.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

watched the series and found it quite inspiring so bought the book and have tried some of the recipes and they are pretty darn good. I use quorn mince quite a bit as low in fat, have made their pies with it and the same pastry as them, not too bad at all, I use fry light instead of oil as much as possible but have to admit over last couple of weeks have been rather lax to say the least with diet, need to get into the right mind set.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Thanks both for these. Helpful hints. I used to do a cassoulet with quorn sausages years ago, and that cut down the fat content, and used quorn mince a lot as OH was veggie at the time. Found the mince OK but not quite the real deal - bulking with lentils is a great idea. I do the 5:2, but don't want to have to be dieting forever - would rather do things as quickly as possible and get it over with, so building these sorts of things into everyday meals would both speed things up and keep the inches under control. Any more suggestions would be very welcome.
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

Got the book of the series recently and it's really good - no daft faddy recipes but lots of tasty healthy meals - well worth a look )t'
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
manda

Post by manda »

If you've just GOT to have mayonnaise...mix it with low fat natural yogurt. Evetentually you can have say a teaspoon of mayo to a couple of tablespoons of yogurt and still get the taste of the mayo....
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Good one, Manda. You could put mustard/herbs etc in with, and then use it instead of butter in a sarnie.