Chicken coop paint?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Wellington Boot
Lively Laner

Chicken coop paint?

Post by Wellington Boot »

Hello.

I am going to be building the run extension today, and I was wondering what is the best sort of paint to use to preserve it. Obviously it would need to be animal friendly and weather proof. What's good?

Thank you!

Nx
[center]Wellington Boot Garden Farm is now open for business.
Search for us on Facebook, or check out the website at www.wellingtonbootfarm.co.uk
[/center]

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Chicken coop paint?

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh good question Betty )t'

I'd like to know as well.

We had a new walk in run built last year. The wood had been pre-treated, but wondering if it needs doing annually or something?
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
urbanchicks
Longlasting Laner

Post by urbanchicks »

Cuprinol Total, recommended by Woodenart,who supplied my chicken pen.

Maggie )t'
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

I used C.uprinol Garden Shades on all my chicken runs and house, it even covered the awful red stain colour that was on the old chicken house which impressed me.

If you can do paint the interior of the house in white as it does help to show up lurking nasties. I used leftover emulsion for this but I am sure Dom or one of other chaps can advise on the best paint to use for inside.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Do you do it once MrsB, or is it annually?

Not sure if I want to pain the inside of our run in white, I like the natural colour :?
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

we have a lovely little blue house waiting for new chickens (4 weeks ish). Garden Shades has a lovely range of colours and is easy to apply.

We may give it another coat when we clean it all out. We haven't done the inside but I regularly use a spray cleaner that kills off the mites, probably from Wells. We have had a couple of small infestations but never anything hideous, so I trust it!
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

We used Garden Shades on the outside and on the small coop I built I used white gloss on the inside.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Benny I said white on the inside of the house, I think you have had too much cough medicine.

It should be obvious when your run needs painting again, mine needs doing but that is purely because I didn't take the time to do a proper job last year plus it has got very mud splattered this year.

There are some pinky colours around now you know )t'
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Do you paint the inside of your Cube MrsB?

I might have a look at making the back wall a feature wall for the girls - I'm sure they'll appreciate it! :-D
Bev x

Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Benny&Co wrote:Do you paint the inside of your Cube MrsB?

No becauseit is plastic it is the old wooden house I painted. Seriously no more cough medicine for you {warn}
Wellington Boot
Lively Laner

Post by Wellington Boot »

Thanks everyone, I knew you guys would point me in the right direction! )t'

The inside was white, about a year ago, now its rather grubby looking, I'll probably give it a spruce up when I do the outside.

xxx
[center]Wellington Boot Garden Farm is now open for business.
Search for us on Facebook, or check out the website at www.wellingtonbootfarm.co.uk
[/center]
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Mrs B wrote:
Benny&Co wrote:Do you paint the inside of your Cube MrsB?

No becauseit is plastic it is the old wooden house I painted. Seriously no more cough medicine for you {warn}

Sorry MrsB I'm a bit slow at the mo! {rofwl} {rofwl}
Bev x