Chidken friendly, pretty plants?

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Wellington Boot
Lively Laner

Chidken friendly, pretty plants?

Post by Wellington Boot »

Hello )wav(

We are in the process of giving our run a bit of a spruce up, and I think it would be really nice to get some more bushes and plants. At the moment, we have a tall rose bush, that is doing well (although the bottom 2 feet are very bare!) as well as another bush, that I have no idea what it is (although it is relatively unscathed - so I'm guessing the chickens don't think it's tasty?) There are also a couple of apple trees next to the run (so the branches over hang - and give a little shade).

I'd like things that look pretty, as well as things that can stand up to 5 chickens, and obviously, nothing poisonous (to either children, chickens, rabbits or guinea pigs) . Also, if it attracts garden friendly bugs - I'm sure my girls would love that.

Is this an impossible dream, or are there plants out there that will work?
Thank you!

Nx
[center]Wellington Boot Garden Farm is now open for business.
Search for us on Facebook, or check out the website at www.wellingtonbootfarm.co.uk
[/center]
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Chidken friendly, pretty plants?

Post by Annie »

I must admit I am a bit sceptical about hens and anything green - here the 2 just don't go together.
If you are planting outside the run then obviously shrubs etc would stand a better chance,unless like our hens, yours are out f.r. most of the day. I do have a couple of buddleia which seem to survive the chickens attentions and of course the other name for that is butterfly bush but I shouldn't think you would want the hens to eat the butterflys, they are too pretty and useful.
A lot of folk advocate hanging baskets attached to the outside of the run to break it up a bit )t'
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

My girls wander the whole garden, they don't eat shrubs, Helebore, lavender or heathers. )t'
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

I should say that with mine that its not only the beaks that do the damage but the scratching for the creepies in the soil, disturbing the roots and then the plant suffers.
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I have several geraniums that get left alone, when I put something new in I put
rocks or a few sticks in the ground around it till it gets established, works sometimes.
Don't try wallflowers or violas - yum!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Wellington Boot
Lively Laner

Thank you! That is really useful. I will definitely give hanging baskets a go, and someone else has mentioned butterfly bushes, so I may give that a try too. I Love Lavender, but I have no luck with it whatsoever! Although at least if I try it in the run, I can blame the chickens when/if it doesn't survive!

I was also wondering about Mint? It's not very pretty, but I've always found it to be pretty indestructible and fast growing, is it worth a try?

I also heard that if you plant things in pots, that the chickens can't scratch up the roots in the same way, does this work? Looking at my girls, I can't see them being fooled, and I would guess they would just love jumping on the pot, and kicking all the soil out/dust bathing? I might put some mint and lavender in pots, and some in the ground, and see which fares better!

Thanks again for the advice, I'll take some pictures as soon as it's done - hopefully before they start pulling it all to bits! Naughty chickens! {warn}

Nx
Search for us on Facebook, or check out the website at www.wellingtonbootfarm.co.uk
[/center]
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Just a wee word of warning about mint. You are totally correct in that its extremely hardy and spreads well but I did have a problem with one hen that loved it so much she gorged on it and ended up with sour crop and I think (though just a feeling) that the acidity of the plant burnt her crop as she never fully recovered and had on going crop problems all her short life.
The other hens pretty much ignore it, actually its planted my side of the fence in the garden but bits straggle through. I think if there was other greenery it would pretty much be ignored.
I love mint, just to walk past and squeeze a leaf and release the aroma, I throw a handful in the wheelie bin and it keeps that smelling ok in the summer, I let it go to seed and the flowers are a delicate mauve oh and of course I do use it in my cooking.
Wellington Boot
Lively Laner

Ooh, thank you Annie. I will re-think. )t'
[/center]
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

I grew pots of things alongside our run last summer.

Had - sweet peas, tomatoes, mint, thyme, courgettes, sunflowers. Think I'll try and do pretty much the same again this year.

We also have some apple trees growing on one side too >mmm<
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

I stop the scratching up with either a small ring fence wire, yes I have free range hens and caged plants ! Or some pebbles round the base of the plant.
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
Wellington Boot
Lively Laner

I think I will def start off by making some little cages, at least until the plants get bigger, thanks.

Benny, your run looks amazing! I love the lights and the bunting!!
[/center]
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

bettythebass wrote:I think I will def start off by making some little cages, at least until the plants get bigger, thanks.

Benny, your run looks amazing! I love the lights and the bunting!!

Thank you :-D {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.