Paint colours

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Paint colours

Post by albertajune »

We are giving our small kitchen a face lift and decided to buy some new cupboard doors. They are ready painted in ivory white, so thought this an easy colour for painting the framework. I don't think so!!. A couple of years ago, I bought paint called ivory white, but today, buying paint is absolutely confusing. No paint now is just called ivory white.
I have been faced with ivory cream, white cotton, frosted dawn, white hankerchief, just to mention a few. Going by the little sample card, I went for milk white but it is not right, so am using it for the first and undercoat. I now have to go throught the process again and try to match up this basic colour.
Why can't colours be called what they are? Just glancing at the color chart in front of me are such colours as dairy farm, lunar falls, potters wheel and leather satchel.
If I described my decor as being any of these colours, no one would have a clue what they are.
Is it just me??
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Paint colours

Post by Benny&Co »

It's a while since I've bought any paint June, but those names sound a bit bonkers! {rofwl}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

I think Farrow & Ball have the colour you want. The name they've given it is Ancient Y Fronts )t'
Dom

+pinn+
Ali Woks My World
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

If it helps the shaggy dog brand are doing an offer on tester pots , 3 pots for £1.

I agree the names they give some of the colours are bonkers, I am lucky as the Tiara brand have a trade centre near me and they can scan any flat item and the magic machine reproduces the colour in paint, plus the ladies in there are very chatty and give me biscuits.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Its not just paint that has the fanciful names , the colour of the carpet that we had in the dining room was Heather Moonstone - sounds like a tacky actress to me {rofwl} .
The annoying thing as well June is that a couple of years down the line they will change the names yet again so its really hard to match your existing colour scheme if you need to.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Hi June, any chance you could take one of the small doors to one of the major DIY stores, and get them to colour match it using their colour match computer )t' .
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

silverback wrote:Hi June, any chance you could take one of the small doors to one of the major DIY stores, and get them to colour match it using their colour match computer )t' .

>dowhat< That was a scarily sensible answer Silverback!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I think the weirdest names I have found are Farrow & Ball - Mouse's Back, Elephant's Breath and Dead Salmon - it's a positive menagerie of paint )grin2(

And for the accents, you could use their Brassica which is what you'll be feeling after paying their prices )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

{rofwl} {rofwl}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Thanks for ideas. Will look at the Farrow & Ball colours tomorrow. Looks interesting. Just hope the demonstration colour is not on someone. {rofwl}
To be honest, I'm wishing that we hadn't started this job as we have had problem after problem. The worst being after Roy had turned off the water to move the tap, he turned it back on with the tap to full on position. As I was mopping up the flood, the hospital rang to make an appointment for my colonoscopy.
I shall take a couple of mags in with me next Tuesday afternoon and have a rest. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.