Bills 2013 GYO Veggie Diary

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Bills 2013 GYO Veggie Diary

Post by lancashire lass »

We could certainly do with some warmer weather - I wouldn't mind if we just had "average" temperatures for this time of year so long as we got out of this never ending chill. The alternate I suppose is rain but we'll not go down there ...
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

I can feel the frustration through your posts Bill }hairout{
I started my diary today as I bought a rhubarb crown and decided to use the biggest raised bed as a fruit bed . Thought the strawberries from last year - a dozen new plants, that had been in containers last year were still dormant or worse dead after the big hens feet and beaks scratching around. However on closer inspection, it takes more than a few hens to deter them and I can see little green shots appearing. Better get them under cover and hopefully plant out at the weekend, when I can find my cloche cover - we need a scratching your head smillie - gardeners do that a lot don't they ?
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

lancashire lass wrote:We could certainly do with some warmer weather - I wouldn't mind if we just had "average" temperatures for this time of year so long as we got out of this never ending chill. The alternate I suppose is rain but we'll not go down there ...

Good morning Lancashire lass

You are so right ,just average temp would be fine its 4 deg c hear at the moment .We have had a bitterly cold wind for a couple of weeks or more ,was in the garden yesterday just setting them Strawberry plants about 1 hour and littrely froze >coc<

Some nice spring rain in a few weeks would be ok but certainly not what we had last year.Goint to sow my Tomatoes indoors at the weekend >veg5< got to make a start somewhere )t'
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Annie wrote:I can feel the frustration through your posts Bill }hairout{
I started my diary today as I bought a rhubarb crown and decided to use the biggest raised bed as a fruit bed . Thought the strawberries from last year - a dozen new plants, that had been in containers last year were still dormant or worse dead after the big hens feet and beaks scratching around. However on closer inspection, it takes more than a few hens to deter them and I can see little green shots appearing. Better get them under cover and hopefully plant out at the weekend, when I can find my cloche cover - we need a scratching your head smillie - gardeners do that a lot don't they ?

Good morning to you Annie

Yes i want to get going feel i am getting behind }hairout{ .Something i havent got in my garden is rhubarb will have to see about getting one,remember dad was allways out with his bucket and shovel behind the horses for his rhubarb :-D prefered custard on mine though >dowhat< .
The strawberrys i have now put in didnt look like they were alive apart from little green shoots right in the crown,but if they can survive chickens then they can survive anything.
Yes a scratching your head smiley would be good ,if i scratched mine to much would end up with a splinter in my finger.I am glad you are makeing a start. )t'

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Wednesday 27.02.2013

Bit of an experiment today have done a little vidio sowing my Tomatoe seeds ,dont know how well it will work fingers crossed.The first picture down just click on it and hopefully all will be revealed }hairout{ )t'

Doing 3 types this year hence the different coloured tags.

Ready to go indoors to a nice warm windowsill )t'

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

http://youtu.be/xhbNF_Zu5Zw

If you find clicking on the picture doesnt do it for you ,try the above link ,i have managed to download to utube may be a little better to watch {warn} :-D .

davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Good video bob, very informative )t'
Very tidy potting shed too
[center][/center]Davina
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Bill that was smashing !! Please do more when you can . I love the tip about the kitchen foil in the bottom of the tray , I am going to steal that one )t' .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

davina112 wrote:Good video bob, very informative )t'
Very tidy potting shed too

Thank you davina,tell the truth i had to do a bit of tidying :oops: But glad you liked it ,was a little bit dificult alone but hopefully make a better job in the future >gl<

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Annie wrote:Bill that was smashing !! Please do more when you can . I love the tip about the kitchen foil in the bottom of the tray , I am going to steal that one )t' .

Bless your heart Annie ,realy pleased you enjoyed it .Yes will certainly give it another go soon .Mind you dont overwater with the foil in as one of the other reasons i use it is so i dont drain water onto the windowsill :oops: know someone who wouldnt be very happy {warn}.

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Thurs 28.02.2012

Much better morning sunshine and 7 deg c wow like summer )w( .Speeking to a freind who used to get my seed potatoes ,asked him about chitting what he told me realy opened my eyes.He used to set around 30 ton of a main crop potatoe for Birds Eye, they were never chitted and says chitting will bring them forward 1 to 2 weeks and ensure your spuds are good to grow ,but all seed potatoes virtually guarentee groth under the right conditions now.Makes you wonder if all this chitting is realy needed )t'

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I finally got to see the video - I like it bill )t' I'm afraid my shed both at the allotment and at home are too cluttered for filming :oops:

billnorfolk wrote:Makes you wonder if all this chitting is realy needed

oh I absolutely agree that there is no need for chitting whatsoever - you only have to see the rogue potatoes that get left behind the year before coming up without any help. I think on a small scale, as in home gardens, chitting has already started the growing process and in the right conditions such as a warmer planting area means they get off quicker and you can get some early potatoes before the farmers are ready. I also think chitting is just something to keep gardeners occupied so that they don't plant them too early LOL
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

billnorfolk wrote:Makes you wonder if all this chitting is realy needed

lancashire lass wrote: I also think chitting is just something to keep gardeners occupied so that they don't plant them too early LOL

Or in the case of a novice like myself, it made me feel like I had half a clue! I just wanted to get going and make a start on doing something >veg5<
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Great video Billy )t' those toms are bound to be yummy with all your TLC.
That's really interesting about chitting, will pass that onto OH :-D
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

LL is so right about the rogue tatties that pop up in a neat row of beans or peas that you have planted in the current year. Though strangely, I find these can yield some of the best crops, makes you think twice about chitting eh ?