HappyBobs 2013 Dairy

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

HappyBobs 2013 Dairy

Post by HappyBob »

Well I managed to get down to the allotment today for a bit of a potter not really knowing what I was going to get upto. As I approached my plot it soon became apparent what my 1st job of the year was going to be, taking down my crumpled wind damaged polytunnel. I was given it by a gentleman last year and it needed a bit of patching up which I managed to do. Although it only lasted a year it taught me the benefits of a polytunnel. It has now been taken down and the cover, although torn will do for recovering my cold frame a little later on in the year. I do plan on buying a new polytunnel to replace the damaged one. I have seen a better quality one online that has 25mm, galvanised steel as opposed to the 19mm powder coated steel I inherited. I hope to purchase one maybe by the end of Feb. I did harvest some sprouts, kale, and a few leeks which we are having for dinner tonight.

Anyway a pic of the damaged polytunnel and a couple of the plot which alays looks a little miserable this time of year.

Dont ever grow up, its a trap
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Re: HappyBobs 2013 Dairy

Post by mrs boodles »

I don`t think your plot looks miserable Bob, its so neat and tidy, we were`nt allowed sheds tunnels, nothing like that where i used to have allotments, were`nt very friendly allotments either.
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Ooohhh what a lovely tidy allotment
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Very tidy Bob, puts my garden veg plot to shame :oops:
[center][/center]Davina
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Thanks for your kind comments ladies, I say miserable because at this time of year its cold, wet and its empty. But its still a nice place to be when the weathers suitable. :-D
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Had a nice day on the allotment today. Emptied the contents of last years compost bin into my main comp bin. Pruned back my two grapevines and had a little fire to burn a little rubbish. I have also being offered another half of an allotment that is adjacent to mine which I gladly accepted. :-D :-D
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

You won't have any time to get in to much mischief then will you HB ?
Now you have extra ground will you be experimenting more with your crops, growing things you haven't tried before ?
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Annie wrote:You won't have any time to get in to much mischief then will you HB ?
Now you have extra ground will you be experimenting more with your crops, growing things you haven't tried before ?

Ooh Annie I never find mischief it always finds me .ang. Yes the extra space is causing a few choice problems, I fancy a bit more fruit about the place so a few apple and pear trees may go in and maybe some more rasps etc.
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Had a pleasant few hours down the allotment today. Pruned all my fruit tree,s and cut the deadwood out of the tayberries and tied in all last years new wood, put down a little wood ash from a small fire I had the other day on the chrysanth bed.
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Pleasant day today, limed the two beds I double dug last year at 2lb per square yard, this is where the brassicas will grow this year. Cleaned my two greenhouses out. Bought another greenhouse, a 10 ft by 6ft off one of the plot holders who sadly has given up after only a year, I will make a start tomorow dismantling it and start moving it across to my plot, I was also kindly given a couple of water butts and canes etc.
boosmummy
Longlasting Laner

Post by boosmummy »

your plot is my dream happy bob, its so tidy and structured. do you not fancy a day up in lancashire to help me with mine?? xx
photos of allotment & other nice things: http://pinterest.com/girlontheplot/

Follow my blog:
http://girlontheplot.blogspot.co.uk/

Just make sure my think works are wound extra tight, and I will formulate a plan!
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

I like the look of your allotment, shame about your polytunnel though, is it beyond repair ?
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Yes its grown its last Angela :-D I had it given last year, even then it needed a bit of patching up but I got a year out of it. I have bought another one to put up sometime this year.

I have just taken on another 150 sq yards (5 pole) allotment next to mine so have also bought another green house 10*6 ft that will sit on it, I have to take down the full fence behind the wrecked tunnel and re erect it on the boundry of my new allotment so lots to do.

Yesterday cleared away the old sprouts and other brassicas from two beds dug over and gave a dressing of lime 250 gms psy. These beds will be used for salad, leeks and sweetcorn this year. Garden compost will also be added just before planting.

Chitted potatoes, Rocket (1st early) and Desiree (maincrop). I made a start of leveling site on new allotment where new greenhouse is to be sited. I,ll try to put a few new pics up next week.
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Lots to be done then Bob, it is sooooo worth it though isn't it, well the fruits of our labour pay off )t'
[center][/center]Davina
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Yes lots to do Davina112, went to the allotment early this morning with the intention of taking down the greenhouse I bought, moving it to my new plot getting back home shower then a bit of a liquid lunch before sunday roast, and then re erect the said greenhouse on monday.

Wrong I arrived and some so and so has only gone and half inched the greenhouse door, not just mine but maybe another eight or nine, looks like the scrap metal lads may have struck during the night.

Anyway I took the greenhouse down and paranoia hit me that it was somewhat foolish to leave an aluminium frame to the mercy of the scrap boys so I worked like a fool and re-erected it and fully re galzed it minus door I just beat the failing light and got back home at 6pm from 8am this morning, had one cup of tea all day, and still hadnt opened my packing up.

But I feel kinda good even though a little cold and tired, knowing that my green house will still be there in the morning. So now I,m showered, warm, fed and watered and am writing my dairy with a single malt in hand, I feel a nice warm glow and tomorow is another day. :-D :-D :-D :-D )t'