Stace's Chooks

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
stace
Legendary Laner

Stace's Chooks

Post by stace »

How did i miss this ?

Well having now only 2 big girls, and seven bantams (2 boys) , although i have gone down in numbers, this past year seems to have gotten harder for all of us..

The girls are let out about 8am each morning. I poo pick at the same time and change water etc.

Today the mud is about 6 inches deep, sticky and horrid. Put some straw down outside both runs, and cleaned out both with fresh straw. Even though they are both covered they are still getting soaking wet.

I must say after keeping chooks for nearly 6 years, this has been the hardest year i have had, what with the wet summer last year, and the constant snow/ rain this past few months.

Pete and myself spent about an hour yesterday cleaning and changing everyhing around, i came back in doors in tears (thats not like me) I have never known the garden to look like it does.

Anyway tomorrow is a new day, and spring will soon be here )t'
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

Mrs B

Re: Stace's Chooks

Post by Mrs B »

Hang in there Stace it will get better, a couple of weeks of dryish weather is all we need to lift our spirits.

Even during bad weather I let my girls run around the garden but although it did not rain yesterday the ground was so sodden I decided the girls were better off in the run, even I was sliding around everywhere.
Come on Spring we all need you.

Keeping chickens has been very costly the past 12 months with increases in feed prices plus constantly cleaning the run flooring for clean dry straw, I think keeping alligators may have been a better option.
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Yes Mrs B i agree we all need some warm sun to make us feel better. I hate keeping them shut in, but the past few days i have had no choice. My 2 bigs girls are in a small run, and i feel so sorry for them {cry} . Today it's dry so later they will be bounding up the garden for a nice scratch )t'
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Think we will all be glad of some better weather. Damp and wet just seems to be going on and on. Bet the chooks will be glad to feel the warm sun on their backs too )t(
LYN
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

I have 3 broody girls today, Dottie, cilla and Sally }hairout{ They are fighting for any eggs being laid!

The runs are both wet again today due to the heavy rain last night, but i hope that with the dry weather for the next few days (so they say) it will dry out. Its costing a fortune in straw shavings, as i just have to keep changing it all. They are running low on pellets so will have to pop and get some tomorrow. The 2 boys were crowing at 6am today even though it's pitch black outside! Billy bob (youngest) is the worse Titch never used to crow as much as he does now. Not sure how i am going to fair through the summer with them both, as i dont want them going off at 4am when it's light. My neighbours are very good but it's just not fair on them really.
Bev xx

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Stace you are so lucky you have little boys )t' Dont despair with the weather, as Alan Titchmarsh said yesterday no one can help having a messy garden at the moment. I have spent a fortune this year too, mainly on woodchip
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

All chooks doing fine at the moment. 2 are still broody, but i bring them out in the morning to eat and drink, then close the coop until after lunch so they stay out for a while. I am just going to leave then to get on with it, bless em!

Off to get layers/straw later, and hoping to give a good clean whilst the weather is at last dry.

Jess (cream legbar) has started to lay again, so getting a few lovely blue eggs each week.

Bantams laying about 8 each week between 5 girls, so not bad at all
Bev xx

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Blue eggs, piccie please? You know I was moaning it wasn't sunny today, but it isn't raining so I will shut up
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

I will take a pic for you Sandy )t'

All girls except Alice are looking good. She has been off colour yesterday and today, bluish comb, and looking a bit fluffed up. She is eating and drinking ok, but not herself at all. She has not layed in about 9 months, and she is just coming up 3. Just not sure what's up with her at the moment. Will keep a good eye on her. I have put some vasaline on her comb, and lots more straw in the coop today, as there is only 2 of them in there thought she might be cold bless her. All banty's are well , 2 still broody though }hairout{ Little madams i bring them out to eat/drink every morning and they just flop on the floor and won't move {rofwl} naughty girls! They curse at me too!
Bev xx

stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

All is dry in the runs as we have had no rain at all this past week )t' But everything is frozen today as there was a very sharp frost this morning.

Alice is still not well, she seems to be going like the others did last year {cry} I have checked her crop that seems ok, its yukky stuff coming from her bum. She has had the usual stuff sugar water, yogurt, and a warm bath, but still no different. I go away on thursday, so James will be looking after them. They are such a worry. The thing is if anything happens to her, there will be just Jessie left out of the big girls, as the rest have all gone. I will then have to put her with the bantams , the run has plenty of room but the coop is not big enough for her and the other 7. Oh dear what to do
Bev xx

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

We had icy water and frost this morning too Bev.

Sorry to hear that Alice is still poorly, you're right they are a worry sometimes aren't they.

I'd take each day as it comes for now {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I am so sorry your little Alice is poorly(I miss my Alice so so much) they are such a worry, especially when you are going away so I am sending Alice lots of >fi< that she picks up and gets better so her mum will have a stress free holiday. Please dont worry about Jessie if it came down to it she would have a home

stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Good morning

All runs cleaned fresh water/ dried corn treat (to keep them warm)

Alice is no better i lifted her down for some water and corn, she wasn't really interested in anything. I am off out soon , but will bring her up later and have another look at her. Her crop seems fine, and her weight still feels ok.

Thank you both for your lovely comments {hug&kiss}

As you know i have 2 boys one billy we hatched last july. Had a comment from the neighbor about his crowing yesterday morning at 7am, just what i needed to hear. I have been very lucky with my boys, but he can be very noisy which then starts titch off also. I will have to look at re-homing him {cry}
Bev xx

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Gosh Stace you are having a time of it {hug} Come on Alice lots more >fi< >fi< >fi< for you I do hope you can keep your Billy

aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Hope Alice rallies round >fi< Its horrible when they are ill {hug}
LYN