Felt

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
LisaB

Felt

Post by LisaB »

Hello!

Does anyone know what felt this is made from?

The website just says felt, but the felt I buy isn't as "fluffy" as that, it's really quite flat.

Or is there anything I can do to the felt I have to make it more fluffy?

Thank you :-D
p.penn

Re: Felt

Post by p.penn »

Grey felt )grin2(
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I think it's needle-felted - so it's made from sheep's wool that's formed into a shape & poked at with a special felting needle until all the fibres bond together & form felt.

There's a tutorial here that should give you an idea.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Thanks Helen )grin2( {rofwl} {rofwl}

Ohhh yes it does look like it is that, thank you LBF :) Do you know if theres anything similar you can get that doesn't use wool? :oops:
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Oh I have another question, a bit off topic, does anyone know where I can buy walnut shells from? I'm not sure I'd be able to open them without cracking the shell completely.

I found these on Etsy and thought they were just the most adorable thing ever!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/LoveableTreasu ... hop_search

Or if theres anything similar and easier that anyone could think of that would still have the same effect?

Also, I made a cat out of some fleecy-stuff I had!

albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Hi Lisa, I've just looked at the Etsy link and think the little animals are adorable.
What about making imitation shells out of fimo? Or you could buy a hank of straw from a craft shop, make fine plaits with it and shape into little baskets, sewing as you go along.
Just a couple of ideas.
Your little kittens are so sweet. {hug}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Ooo thanks June! I have been thinking about buying some fimo for a while, but I'm not sure how realistic I'd be able to make it? Or, maybe I could buy some real shells (like beach shells)?
I also love the basket idea, although, i've never seen straw in our craft shops (but i guess as I've not been looking for it I may have walked right passed it)
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

LisaB wrote:Oh I have another question, a bit off topic, does anyone know where I can buy walnut shells from? I'm not sure I'd be able to open them without cracking the shell completely.

I found these on Etsy and thought they were just the most adorable thing ever!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/LoveableTreasu ... hop_search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or if theres anything similar and easier that anyone could think of that would still have the same effect?

Also, I made a cat out of some fleecy-stuff I had!

really cute lisa ,you could rough up felt with a toothbrush use a scrubbing action ! )t'
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Ooo thank you Ace, I will try that )t'

I think I've found some walnut shells to buy, so I'm going to put straw inside and make some cute fleece or felt chickens, will look like they're in a little nest :D
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

[quote="LisaBI also love the basket idea, although, i've never seen straw in our craft shops (but i guess as I've not been looking for it I may have walked right passed it)[/quote]

If none in the craft shop, you will always get it at a garden centre. Good luck!
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
sazchops
Legendary Laner

Post by sazchops »

Hi Lisa
I needle felted an Easter Fairy

Sarah - slave to Cats Anthony, Elsa and Pippa, Chickens, Heidi, Fleur, Gabby and Marmite, R.I.P Cadbury
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Post by HazellB »

There's few indoor winter things more satisfying than bashing wool fibres until they make felt. Beating, rolling, microwaving, beating, rolling .....

Sorry Lisa, only wool really works. It has to be a natural fibre with the right make-up to bond and become one sheet of mashed, crisscrossed fibres that are really hard to part. Just like dreadlocks only work in hair, felt only works in wool.

I only use British wool, as the Australian Merino stuff is from mulesed sheep. Mulesing is pretty gross (look it up, I won't explain as you simply will not believe me) and banned over most of the world, while British sheep farmers currently make a loss on fleeces, so I support them by paying a bit extra. It's not that much more and far more satisfying to make bags and so on from.

I'm not artistic enough to try needle felting - nor brave enough after seeing a local felter called Chrissy Cooke spike herself every few minutes while chatting to me one afternoon. Good job she was working in red ..... :oops:
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Saz I love your fairyyyy!!! So cute!

Thanks Hazel - I didnt think you could do it without wool, be cool if you could though.
I don't use wool at all, so i shall stick to my man-made felt and sewing :-D

The walnut shells should arrive this week so I shall put the graphics tablet down for a few days and sew some teeny chickens instead )t'