The Mrs Chicken Diaries.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Wellington Boot
Lively Laner

Re: The Mrs Chicken Diaries.

Post by Wellington Boot »

aceface wrote:they are beautiful so cute and the chicken village well envy}} love the tyre bridge what a fab idea

:-D Thank You! I got loads of tyres from my step-dad's garage (they let me have as many as I want) I used most of them to put over/round the base of the plants, to try and minimise damage to the roots, and we used one for a dust bath, and I had one left over, I wanted to make a swing for them (after seeing how much my chicks love swinging on their feeder!), but that was a bit technical, so I made the bridge instead.
[center]Wellington Boot Garden Farm is now open for business.
Search for us on Facebook, or check out the website at www.wellingtonbootfarm.co.uk
[/center]

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Absolutely wonderful pictures and story Betty, love your gorgeous chicken village :-D

How very cute are your little chickies :-D {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Wellington Boot
Lively Laner

Thanks Benny!

Today, I decided that the chicks were a bit cramped in their toy box, and that it was time to evict Pete Rabbit from his hutch (he is in the tiny chicken coop - which will be where the chicks live, when they are big enough to go outside - it's like musical hutches!!) to make room for the little girls. Although this caused a problem in that the chicks still need a heat lamp (which I thought might be a fire risk in a rabbit hutch).

Donning my engineers cap, I broke out the pliers and chicken wire, and constructed a rather lavish solution for them:

They now have a huge hutch, and a run, which is a lot more space than they need, but they have access to the heat lamp if they want it, and plenty of space to stretch their wings out, without bashing into each other. It also means that I can change their water in about a 5th of the time. (They could jump out of the toy box, as soon as I lifted the lid - so I needed an extra hand to catch them - it was a pain!) Also, they have been in there now for 6 hours, and I haven't had to change the water once, before it got knocked over all the time, and if it wasn't sent flying, it was full of sawdust within minutes!

Now I just need to >fi< that they can't escape.
Wish me luck.

Nx
Search for us on Facebook, or check out the website at www.wellingtonbootfarm.co.uk
[/center]
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I wish you luck >fi< but I don't think you will need it with your diy talents
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Iv'e always found that it is women who come up with good ideas and solutions to problems :-D Must be their bigger brains! )t'
Looks like your chicks are very happy in their new home :-D
LYN
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

First I built a smaller coop (a place for the chicks to live, until they are grown up enough to move in with the big girls)

Did you really build that coop yourself? How did the cost compare with buying?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

It looks great, you must love seeing them growing in front of your eyes, they're so sweet :-D
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Wellington Boot
Lively Laner

Mo, when I say "built" I mean, from flat pack! Although even that was quite a stretch for my DIY skills, and involved lots of swearing!!

The chicks all seemed to have survived the night in their new quarters, they are strutting about at the moment, and seemed quite chilled out. So far, so good. :-D
[/center]
sarabee
Legendary Laner

Post by sarabee »

Gorgeous pics of chicken village and the residents!
Sara

"Harm no living thing"

Brilliant hubbie, 2 great teenagers, Sasha the elderly dog and Fin, the evil but loveable cat! 3 chickens; Dottie, Gaia, and Buttercup
Night night Rhoda xx
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

such cute little things {hug}
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
Wellington Boot
Lively Laner

Well today has been a busy day, I finally got round to finishing off nailing the chicken wire to the inside of their fence (to stop them climbing through the gaps - naughty girls!) and putting a wire just above the fence, to stop them jumping up onto the fence, and then jumping down into the garden.

It was the first time they had been out in a week, (I wanted to leave them for a week, to let them get used to a smaller space - so being aloud out into the run would feel like a luxury, rather than them being miffed that we had restricted their space, by not letting them into the rest of the garden) and I also wanted to finish off the fortifications, to stop the little monkeys escaping!

Anyway, within about 10 minutes they had made a right mess! But they do seem to like their new play ground.

[/center]
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

They certainly do like to trash any place dont they {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
julieann
Legendary Laner

Post by julieann »

Your chicken village is very pretty, despite the naughty girls doing their thing!
Julie x
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Wonderful pictures Betty )t'

Look at your littlies too they're really growing aren't they {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

they look like a set of happy little hens to me )t'
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx