Anyone a keen machine sewer?

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Anyone a keen machine sewer?

Post by Freeranger »

Can anyone advise please? I've just taken out my sewing machine after a few years and tried to sew a seam on a pair of jeans. The top layer of stitches looks fine, but underneath looks like spaghetti hoops. I think it could be the bobbin tension too low, but I can't see why it would have been fine last tine I used it and now so awful. Can the tensions be relative, i.e. could it be not loose bobbin but tight top stitch? I tried tensioning the bobbin but couldn't seem to make much difference. Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks for reading.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Re: Anyone a keen machine sewer?

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

It could be tension, but it could be something as simple as the bobbin being inserted upside down in the bobbin case - I can never remember how it's supposed to go on my machine, so I just turn it over if I have problems & it usually works.
Also, double check that the thread has gone through all the places on the machine that it's supposed to.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

I don't know the exact problem, but I think it's tension, does it sew properly on thinner fabric ? , try adjusting top tension first as that's the easiest to do. If no joy then the shuttle casing has a small screw, make a note of how far and which way you turn it,so you can get it back to original place or you could end up with a right old pickle up ! About a quarter turn should make some difference. Good luck.
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

The same as Angela. This problem is usually the top tension is too loose. Also make sure that you are using the same thread on the bobbin as on the top reel. If a different thread, this can cause problems. Also check that you are using the correct size needle for the cloth that you are sewing. You will get there in the end )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

It sounds to me like either you have forgotten to lower the presser foot or that the top thread is not threaded correctly and is bypassing the tension discs.
Hope that helps.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

So how are you sewing now chuck ?
Angela
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Thanks everyone for your advice and interest. I double-checked everything and downloaded the manual from the manufacturer, but still couldn't see what was wrong. It did get better as I tightened the top stitch tension and chose a longer stitch, but still not right. The bobbin chamber itself seemed to sit very loosely into its location, and I wonder whether there's a problem there, but I couldn't see any way of adjusting it. I did alter the bobbin tension screw, but I still couldn't get it right. Foot and discs were correct, but the needle was very fine for the fabric and I don't have any others left. In the end I got so frustrated with it that I sewed it by hand. I should sort this out as I'll have curtains to make shortly.
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

I know how you feel I get like that with computer stuff ! Try just cotton fabric until you get it right, and invest in a heap of needles too, cos when they snap that adds to the frustration. Just a thought it could be that the fabric was just too thick for the machine. Do YouTube have any ideas ?
Angela
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Usually big loops undeneath the material is a problem with the top tension with there being very very little or no top tension.
Did you thread it while the presser foot was up? If you did it while it was down then that would cause a problem with the tension as while the foot is down the tension discs are closed so it won't thread properly.
Have you cleaned out the lower bobbin area as if it is clogged up with thread, fluff etc. it could stop the thread moving properly.
The lower bobbin case is factory set for the correct tension and should never need changing.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Angela, thanks for the idea, but it was only two thicknesses of denim and I've sewn heavier fabrics before on it - last time, in fact. I'm fairly confident it's not that on it's own, but it's probable that it's something to do with the settings for what I'm trying to do. Dom, I've threaded & rethreaded several times, and paid particular attention to the disc tension and routing of the thread around them. It could be that the foot tension is set wrongly and I will check that. In the middle of a very frustrating process I managed to drop one of the little screws into the workings so had to pull it all apart and thought I may as well clean it while I was there. It was linty because I'd last been sewing velvety fabric, but it wasn't any better afterwards. At least it's useful to know that I should only be looking at the top tension, as that narrows it down a little. Do you think it matters that the bobbin cartridge is not held absolutely still?
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Afternoon,
When you say the bobbin cartridge do you mean the bobbin case, that holds the bobbin in place?
We've checked on Ali's venerable 1950's Singer, Pfaff and her Bernina and the bobbin case is rock solid on all three with no movement at all while in use.
If you mean does the bobbin move around in the bobbin case then it should be a pretty snug fit with barely any lateral movement.
Is there a phone number for the manufacturer that you could call to see what they say?
Failing that a sewing machine engineer would soon put things right.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

You could also try looking on YouTube - there are various threading how-to videos on there, if you could find one for your make/model of machine then it might show you what the bobbin case should look like in situ.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

I don't want to insult you, so please don't be, but are you sure the top cotton is threaded through the machine properly ? If its gone round something wrong then it can muck up the whole caboodle.
Angela
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Well I can't say for sure that I've done everything correctly, else obviously I wouldn't have any problems. There's clearly something I haven't done right and will revisit everything.

T he case that holds the bobbin is the bit I mean, Dom. You can remove it to alter the tension. It wiggles about a bit. It's a Singer 285k, one of the unpopular models. I think I'll have to find a service person.