Glue guns

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
p.penn

Glue guns

Post by p.penn »

I am thinking of getting a glue gun (mainly for card making) but I have a few questions which I am hoping some of you can answer. :-D

Firstly, are they good?
Secondly, what happens to the glue stick - can you use it more than once?
Thirdly, does the glue dry clear?
Fourthly, would the glue be ok for sticking fabrics onto card or would it show through?
And finally, are they worth the money?

Thanks!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Re: Glue guns

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

They are good.
The glue stick melts gradually, so while the glue gun is turned off, it won't be melting, so you can use it more than once.
Mine dries clear, I presume they're all the same.
I think it would show through - it's also quite hard to get a thin even layer of glue with a glue gun, it's more of a 'blob' - it would work for things like felt flowers etc, but not really for a flat piece of cotton fabric. Might be OK for thicker stuff though.
I think they're worth the money. Mine is just a cheap one & it does the job just fine.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Ours is a cheapy and I would imagine has similar results to LBF's )t'

Maybe the dearer ones would be more able to adjust the flow of glue for more delicate things?
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Firstly;- Yes.
Secondly:- Already answered it just uses the amount of glue stick while in use and can be used again and again util it is all used up.
Thirdly:- Depends on the type of glue stickyou get. They come in loads of different types for different materials, card, fabric, wood, plastic etc.
Fourthly:- The first part answered as above and as to the second part it would depend on how much you used it as to whether is is cost effective or not.
Do not get confused and use it to ice cakes though.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

I use a tape glue gun, bit like double sided tape on a roll, quick and clean, dunno if I'm allowed a link to this just go to 3M site and type in tape glue gun.
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

I wouldn't use one for fabric to card - I use P***t stick or double sided tape as you then get a flat effect. Glue gun is hot, so some delicate fabrics would melt and shrivel.
Have you used bondaweb? That is brilliant.

However, for mending all sorts of plastic things around the house I wouldn't be without one. )t'
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
sazchops
Legendary Laner

Post by sazchops »

I use mine for fabric to card and it works really well.
Mine is just a mini glue gun from Hobby Craft, cost about £6 but might have been on offer, >shrug<
My mum uses hers for card making all the time.
Sarah - slave to Cats Anthony, Elsa and Pippa, Chickens, Heidi, Fleur, Gabby and Marmite, R.I.P Cadbury
ma larkin
Legendary Laner

Post by ma larkin »

Hi Ppenn! Yep, get a half decent glue gun for attaching embellishments etc, but as Sunny suggests bondaweb which is fantastic for ironing fabric onto card. Can't wait to see what you do!
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Hi there, i would deffo invest in one !Both my daughte rand i have used them for craft projects and her GCSE art folder is full of stuff held together with a glue gun. You can choose your glue but it does come out hot so may damage delicate fabrics.They dont have to be expensive........!!!
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

If you are worried about the heat get a cool gun, the glue melts at a much lower temperature. You can get guns that take both.
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/