What's for dinner tonight?

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Re: What's for dinner tonight?

Post by jemberelli »

Moroccan chicken tray bake for me - it's a SW recipe & VERY easy to do! Yum yum )c+
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
sazchops
Legendary Laner

Post by sazchops »

Chicken casserole in the slowki,
Got it in this morning then went to Blackpool to visit in-laws.
Came home, part baked rolls in the oven, tea done. )t'
Sarah - slave to Cats Anthony, Elsa and Pippa, Chickens, Heidi, Fleur, Gabby and Marmite, R.I.P Cadbury
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

We went to mums for dinner and had roast pork with roasted tatties parsnips shallots and sweet potato, carrots, purple sprouting broccoli and yorkies...

followed by chocolate and amaretto cheesecake )pg(

It was delicious and all the more so for not having to cook it myself - thanks mum {hug}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Left over roast chicken, cheesy mash and lots of veggies for us tonight )eat(
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I did pan fried pigs liver (dusted in seasoned flour), mashed potato with peas and onion gravy - I really did enjoy tonight's dinner )grin2( And it probably only cost about 60p in ingredients (just thinking about the £1 a day meal challenge)
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Smoked Haddock cooked in butter and milk, mashed potato, grilled toms and garden peas )eat(
LYN
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Going to have a greek moment tonight and make Mousakka (pity I can`t spell it) don`t know what veg etc though.
manda

Post by manda »

Depends how authentic a recipe you want Mrs Boodles....
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
manda

Post by manda »

This is a recipe I have (friends lived in greece for many years and it's what I got from her...which she got from a greek neighbour)
Moussaka
Ingredients
1.5kg Mince (The Real Greek uses Beef but I know some recipes swear you should use lamb or a mix of the two)
500ml Extra virgin olive oil
1kg Peeled Potatoes (maris piper or similar, sliced into 1/2 cm slices)
1.7kg Aubergine ( cut into 1/2 cm slices and sprinkled with a little salt to take out the bitterness)
15g Tomato Puree
80ml Red Wine
2g cloves
8g Cinnamon
400g Plum tomatoes (tinned or fresh (and skinned). It is better to use tinned if the fresh ones are not very ripe)
350g Red Onions (finely chopped)
Salt
Pepper
250g Plain Flour
250g Butter
2l Milk
2 Eggs

Method
In a medium sized saucepan add 50mls of your oil and fry off your red onion on medium heat until soft.
Then add your beef mince and mix until mince becomes brown. From experience this may be best done in batches so that the meat doesn't stew but is browned quickly
Then add your tomato puree, tomato, red wine cloves and half the cinnamon and mix well.
Cook for at least 45 minutes over a very low heat, stirring occassionally
In a larger saucepan add the rest of your oil and bring to medium to high heat.
Add the sliced potatoes (in batches if necessary) and cook till golden brown and tender inside.
When this is done place onto a clean cloth or kitchen roll to remove excess oil
Repeat with the aubergines, frying for around 10 minutes then placing on a clean cloth or kitchen roll to remove the excess oil.
Make a bechamel by warming the milk till just below simmering
Melt the butter in a medium pan
Stir in the flour over a very low heat and cook for a minute or so till golden brown
Now, gradually add the milk a little at a time, stirring the whole time and reheating till the mixture thickens
Once all the milk is added continue to cook for 5 minutes or so then remove from the heat
Line a large casserole or baking dish with the potatoes. followed by a layer of half the aubergine, followed by a layer with all of the mince, followed by a layer of aubergine
Whisk two eggs into the bechamel which should at this stage be warm.
Pour the bechamel over the dish and sprinkle the remainder of the cinnamon on top
Bake for and 45 mins at 160C
You can put 50g kefalotyri or pecorino cheese, grated into the béchamel or sprinkled on top as well (I mix it in).
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Gammon. Not sure what with it yet )eat(
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Thanks for recipe Manda, I do love greek food, was posted in Cyprus with the army just after the invasion in 1974 and did`nt enjoy the food much apart from the roadside kebabs. Since going on holiday to Greece in 2011/12 discovered its fantastic food, and now converted to all the lovely dishes.
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

We had roasted root veg with some beef stew id frozen a couple of weeks ago. Iv never frozen it before so just did enough really for one but was pleased with how it turned so next time i will make double and freeze again :-D
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

We are having the rest of mousakka I made yesterday, instead of new potatoes I will do roasties and mediteranum bread.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

mrs boodles wrote:Thanks for recipe Manda, I do love greek food, was posted in Cyprus with the army just after the invasion in 1974 and did`nt enjoy the food much apart from the roadside kebabs. Since going on holiday to Greece in 2011/12 discovered its fantastic food, and now converted to all the lovely dishes.

We love Greek food here too )t' :-D )eat(
Bev x

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Got some minced steak out of the freezer and going to turn it into chili )eat(
Bev x