Kitty's hatching adventure

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
kitla
Legendary Laner

Kitty's hatching adventure

Post by kitla »

I'm hatching 6 bantam eggs & thought it would be nice to share.
I really cant squeeze any more chickens in here but its such a nice thing to do, so I
asked my breeder friend if I could hatch some for her. I chose a breed that seems
much loved but really hard to find - bantam faverolles. It was really hard to find a
breeder with hatching eggs & when I did they were only selling a few, I had to grab
them quick. It was sooo exciting getting my parcel in the morning, even though I wasn't ready for them!
Unfortunately the only broody girls are blind Giblet & her friend Pebbles, hmmm
very tempting, I'm sure they'd do a good job between them, but I couldn't risk it
incase Pebbles got protective & turned on Giblet.
I had to do something quick so I've bought a tiny incubator (oh well I can sell it again
afterwards!) Today is day one & in they've gone!
I must say having this plastic, buzzing thing in my kitchen just cant compete with
looking after a broody hen & seeing the first little fluffy face peeping out from her
feathers. I'm still hoping one of my girls will go broody in time for me to slip her
the eggs before they hatch. I even "forgot" to collect the eggs yesterday in the hope
of sparking some interest! I gave little Orpy, my bantam Orpington a long cuddle & put her gently into the nestbox after telling her what to do. ....but no >shrug<
Oh well 21 days to go! Unless I get a broody there will now be a bit gap in this diary!!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Kitty's hatching adventure

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh Kitla, how fab is that hatching some eggs.

I will watch this thread with interest, that's for sure )t'

Do they only take 21 days to hatch? Wow, that is quick isn't it :-D >eas1<
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

Oh kitty i will be watching this thread with interest im also very intrigued by the buzzy machine in the kitchen do you have a link for it just in case i decided to go ahead and i can look at it and with your posts and details regarding its performance its good to know when people have them ,good luck 21 days and counting ,please can we have a daily countdown to hatch day {hug} and can you set up a camera to record and film the first hatch taking place {rofwl} i dont want much do i
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Everytime the egg turner starts whirring I find myself rushing over & staring at the
eggs as they get shifted round a bit- I really don't know what I'm expecting to see,
I just cant help myself! I found some amazing pictures somebody took of theirs
developing every day http://chat.allotment.org/index.php?topic=73884.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I was so excited I sent off for a little candling torch, now I'm impatiently waiting
till day 4 so I can see if mine are developing the same way!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

)t' ooh cant wait to see what is happening inside your little eggs {hug}
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Ooooh how very egg-citing :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I'm very depressed now, I've just had a go at candling the eggs with a little LED torch
(as the candler I bought online still hasn't turned up) it's not really up to the job
but I'm sure I should be able to see some sign of development, none of them look
anything like the ones on that link at day 6, I think they may all be duff {cry}
I'll leave it a few more days, at least until I should be seeing a shape before I give
up on them
--Immanuel Kant
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh no Kitla, but we're crossing all our paws for your little eggs >fi<

I'm not very well up on hatching eggs, so wondering what the candler is - is it a device so you can see the chicks developing inside?
Bev x

kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

An egg candler is really just a very bright torch with the end bit designed so it shines
the light through the egg rather than round it, in the old days they used to use a
candle under a pot with a hole, so I've heard. I've tried making one with bits & bobs
from round the house but they never work very well. so I sent off for quite a cheap
one - which hasn't arrived )gr:
A friend of FIL has a new business exporting pure breed hatching eggs to Aus, he's
said if mine don't hatch I can have some more from him - he has about 40 different breeds. So all is not lost, if these are duds I may start again next weekend!
--Immanuel Kant
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

>fi< its like being an expectant auntie waiting for your news :-D Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

>fi< :-D
Bev x

kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Well...last night I turned off the incy :(
It was a horrible feeling - incase I'd made a mistake. This morning the eggs were
stone cold & I braced myself & carefully broke the end of one, cringing as I the
contents fell into a bowl. Bah..nothing,all the same, no smell, no development, just egg yolks like any others! Either they weren't fertile (which the breeder wont admit to)
or they were damaged in the post (does "fragile" on the box really mean no-one plays football with them at the sorting office?) or my incy isn't working properly, which I don't know how to check.
However, I'm going to have another go )c(
I've found someone very local who has bantam orpingtons with lots of frizzles in them
My son loves frizzles, perhaps if I have them I'll keep that a secret & if they frizzle it
will be a lovely surprise - then I suppose I'll have to keep one!
--Immanuel Kant
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh Kitla, so very sorry to hear your news {cry}

When will you be getting your other eggies? {hug}
Bev x

aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Ahh what a shame, hope you have better luck next time >fi<
LYN
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Bev, I found that my old pen torch did the job of candling the eggs we hatched last year )t'
[center][/center]Davina