Eclaire's adventures in chicken keeping.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Eclaire's adventures in chicken keeping.

Post by Benny&Co »

Fab news Eclaire and good on you for giving a loving forever home to some lovely ex-batty girls :-D

Looks like you're all organised there going by your list )t'

Not sure if you know already, so pardon me if you do. You mentioned your horsey friend is kindly bringing some bedding for you - I'd check that it's not hay because our chookies can't cope with it very well you see - gives them respiratory problems. Straw, Aubiose, Hemcore, Rapport/etc are all fine :-D

It's all so very egg-citing, can't wait to see some pics too )piicy( >fi<
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.

eclaire
Lively Laner

Post by eclaire »

Hi Bev- don't worry, it's not hay. Can't find the message she sent me now but it's what a chickeny person at her stables uses. Something wood shaving based I think.

Will post pics soon

:-D
twitter: @eclaire79 and @doastudios1
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Notlob is that on the same planet as Nodnol? Red Dwarf fan by any chance?
eclaire
Lively Laner

Post by eclaire »

:-D Yes I am but the reference is from Python...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO1T7b07I7E

:-D
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

I thought Notlob stood for North of the Land of Baddies...............................but I have a feeling Eclaire may like anagrams )w(
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

I love Python.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Annie wrote:I thought Notlob stood for North of the Land of Baddies...............................but I have a feeling Eclaire may like anagrams )w(

Ahhhh very good Annie )t'
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

well spotted annie it took me a while to work it out though {rofwl} >dum<
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
eclaire
Lively Laner

Post by eclaire »

Well as you can see from other threads I'm now getting 9 hens a week tomorrow! We have all of the materials together now but can't really do much cos a) snow, b) Andy's in Scotland and c) I'm at the studio. So next week will be a busy week! Here's some pics to keep you going!

1st 2 are the garden and beyond from the back bedroom window:

and here's my view right now, in our rehearsal studios-I'm here most of the weekend, mainly avoiding eating the stock from the tuck shop! .ang.

Lastly. here's a bit of daftness on our blackboards - do any of you know why we approve of the John Cage cover? {rofwl}
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

Good luck with your girls when they arrive, they are going to love your garden )t'
eclaire
Lively Laner

Post by eclaire »

Finally got something to show you - As you can see from the fencing it's been stupidly windy as well as snowy this week so yet again a lot of planning and not a lot of doing! Got me, my brother and OH planned in all day tomorrow to finish it off.

This is the coop framework in situ, from behind.

Tomorrow, this side will have double doors added for human access:

And this side will have a side with a hole in it for chicken access and a slidy door/aka plank so it can be opened without going in to the run:

The extended roof will be surrounded by mesh leading into the run.

Roof will be at a steeper angle than in the pics, and the bit between the top of the front side and the roof will be mesh with a slidy door for adjustable ventilation.

Not completely decided how to do the nest boxes yet but they will be free standing inside the coop - either by nicking ideas from the coop thread eg plastic boxes with lids and a hole or by building a removable series of boxes. As you can see, we've acquired a silly amount of timber so there are plenty of options!

Is the general guidance 1 nest box for every 3 hens? That means need 3 now but planning ahead could do 4.
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Looking good Claire and not long to go now :-D Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
eclaire
Lively Laner

Post by eclaire »

Thanks Linda! 3 days 'til Chickens and Doctor Who day! :-D
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

)c( )c( looking good eclaire
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
eclaire
Lively Laner

Post by eclaire »

Been outside most of the last 3 days building coop, run and then supervising my chickens! Here's a bit of an update for you:
Yesterday we were still finishing the coop and the run - got up at 7 and worked at it til ten to two when we set off the pick up the rescue hens. Flick, our 9 year old next door neighbor came with us to help pick them out. Her mum and Dad were a great help with building and fox proofing (lots of digging!). Flick talked to the hens all the way home and was completely smitten with the one she chose.

When we got them back, we fashioned a temporary pen for them while we made the run more secure. Jackie arrived with her 6 at about 5, so it was a case of a bit of corn for supper then all to bed.

Flick listened attentively to Jackie's names but I'm still getting used to remembering them all! The 3 new brown ones are named Ann Boleyn (courtesy of Flick), Camille (I heart Gonzo!) and Roger (by Andy cos he's daft- I thought he was being rude but apparently her full name is Cluck Rogers.) Camille and Roger had a bit of a scrap when the 3 were on their own. Ann Boleyn's strategy is to leave well alone so as a result she's not getting lot of grief of anyone.

Got up early today to let them all out and check them over. A bit of pecking had started, Roger and Camille getting the brunt- they've got really large floppy combs so took them in the kitchen and vaselined them up. Since everything was relatively calm, let them all out in the run together for a bit and distracted everyone with food if when there was any trouble. Rescue hens went back in quite quickly -seemed to be owing to the cold wind rather than any bullying so left them too it. I put some food and water in the coop for them , and a bit of grit. Left the cleaning til the afternoon since they were only going to cause more mess. Tomorrow I'm gutting to partition the run properly so I can be sure they're not being forced inside and so I'm not running in and out all day checking on them!

We had one broken egg first thing from Roger, which they all ate a bit of. Shell was very thin and they'd taken all the straw out of the nest box. Grr. Put more straw in and a bit later we had eggs from Izzy (White Star, white egg :-D ), Amber and Ginge from Jackie's lot and 1 from Ann Boleyn! I left them in the nest box for a bit so that Flick could "find" them. I gave her Ann Boleyn's egg and she's going to save them up to make a cake!

In other news, Derek the cat came running over in pounce mode yesterday, then realized the chickens were bigger than he thought so he got confused and went in, has given them a wide berth ever since. Clive however, who hardly leaves the house, came bounding over in play mode only to get a peck on the nose from Izzy!

Anyway, here's some photos:

Eggs! I think that's Roger in the background.

Ann Boleyn, Roger and Camille in background:

Jackie's 6 in the run before we fully secured it:

I'll do take some proper portraits plus pics of the the finished run tomorrow!

)t'