new puppy

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
zedhead
Lively Laner

new puppy

Post by zedhead »

Hi all, I re-homed a puppy yesterday, I Had no plans to have a dog until later in the year but this one was not wanted and was going to the dogs home so I couldn't help it. you know how it happens.
She is a 22 week old staff cross called molly, I am now her third parent.
Well, all went well last night but this morning she has been sick three times, I do think she ate some chicken poo though. and there seems to be a lot of fluff from the carpet in the sick, she has been to the loo three times this morning as well.
Does this sound normal for a pup in new surroundings, I don't think she had a garden before, and just walked on pavement on a lead (if walked) she seems to want to eat everything.
I look after grown dogs regularly but have no experience with young ones
Barry.

I had the day off when we did English at school, so apologize for my spelling and punctuation.
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Re: new puppy

Post by redd_angel55 »

LOL...I know exactly how difficult it is to resist a cute face! Good on you for offering her a home! Sounds like another unwanted christmas puppy....yet another one! :?
As for a sickness ect, difficult to say why she's unwell, but stress of moving home yet again could be one factor. Keep her new experiences to a minimum for now and give her time to settle.
Has she been wormed and vaccinated? If I were you, I would take her to the vet as soon as they are open again, just to be on the safe side. Keep meals simple for now. Some chicken or fish and rice is nice and bland to settle her tummy. Hope she feels better soon!
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x
R.I.P: Ellie, Phoebe, Tikka

Freshstart for hens collection point Aylesbury, Bucks
zedhead
Lively Laner

Post by zedhead »

Thankyou, I think you are right with xmas, yes she has been wormed and vaccinated, as far as I can tell from paperwork that came with chip details. and she will go to the vet asap.
such a sweet little thing... last address was a one bed flat !!! I will put a pic up when I get time... My weekend plans have changed ha ha.
Barry.

I had the day off when we did English at school, so apologize for my spelling and punctuation.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

zedhead wrote:My weekend plans have changed ha ha.

Not just your weekend plans.
If she's anything like the staffie OH's parents had when he was a boy she'll change your whole life and give you an eventful time.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
zedhead
Lively Laner

Post by zedhead »

Mo wrote:
zedhead wrote:My weekend plans have changed ha ha.

Not just your weekend plans.
If she's anything like the staffie OH's parents had when he was a boy she'll change your whole life and give you an eventful time.

Ha ha yes, I realize that, We have them in the family, in fact She will have a playmate tonight as we are looking after another one for a few days.
Barry.

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Good on you for giving her a loving forever home Barry and looking forward to seeing pictures of your lovely little darling.

It could be the stress of a new environment, but I think I'd take her to the vet anyway for a check over as soon as they're open again.

Is she drinking okay? I'd keep her on quite bland things to help her tummy recover.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
zedhead
Lively Laner

Post by zedhead »

Benny&Co wrote:Good on you for giving her a loving forever home Barry and looking forward to seeing pictures of your lovely little darling.

It could be the stress of a new environment, but I think I'd take her to the vet anyway for a check over as soon as they're open again.

Is she drinking okay? I'd keep her on quite bland things to help her tummy recover.

Thankyou. Yes she seems to be drinking ok, and eating the biscuits we got her (turkey flavor for puppies lol) No treats or tit bits as we don't really do that. I will have to get her diet sorted with advice from the vet as I am not sure what size she will be when grown.
Barry.

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

You have already been given the advice I would have offered but just want to say a big thank you on behalf of staffies and staffies x's for giving this little one a decent home. The numbers of them in dog rehoming centres is criminal , they are such a loving breed and make an excellent pet.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Good for you for taking her on )t'

My experience has been that puppies do tend to be more sickly than adult dogs. I don't think eating chicken poo would do her any harm as our labrador is always eating chicken poo and she has colitis but it never seems to have any adverse effect on her.

Are you feeding the same food that she was on before you got her? Our vet is always telling us that puppies are very prone to food intolerances that they grow out of as they get older.

Hope it goes well at the vets {hug}
Lyn

Post by zedhead »

Thank you to you two, I think it is the same food although I have no way of contacting the previous keeper, its a long story but the first keeper got her handed back .... you get the picture, I can see why she didn't go down well in a flat, she is quite lively and has had little training, I also think she is going to be quite large as she is already the size of my cousins Six yr old I think, I will be able to check later.
Barry.

MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

No more advice to add, just wanted to say it's a good job she's ended up with someone like you who can give her a good home after such a difficult start to her wee life. Well done for taking her on, I'm sure she'll reward you with love {hug}
Looking forward to pictures of her. Does she have a name yet?
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
wendy

Post by wendy »

Can't really add much more.
Any change can affect some of them, eating anythings poo can also.
A day or so on just a diet of chicken, fish with rice or potatoes as a mixer.
If it continues then a vet visit is called for.
Well done you for taking someones cast off )t' With the person who bred her you are her 4th home. Nowadays only one in four puppies born gets a permanent home, how awful is that, and often the staffie or staffie crosses are the victims.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

wendy wrote:Nowadays only one in four puppies born gets a permanent home, how awful is that, and often the staffie or staffie crosses are the victims.

That's appalling Wendy, I had no idea :?
Lyn

Post by wendy »

That is the info I am getting and hearing stories like this little Molly, just confirms it doesn't it Lyn ?
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
zedhead
Lively Laner

Post by zedhead »

Thank you all, never quite thought we were the forth home, can sort of see why... she is going to be a bigun and is quite lively, she has been with a six yr old staff all day and is so tired now bless her, I am in love. I do realize the downside of dog homing as well as the pluses.
Just got to get her into a routine now, get her used to the van and start training (of which I have no experience lol always looked after older trained dogs) she has been so good today, I am sure it will be fun.
Gotta go walkies ha ha
Barry.