reparing caravans

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
mminor65
Learner Laner

reparing caravans

Post by mminor65 »

Hi has any one attempted reparing a floor and wall in a touring caravan? My daughter has just brought a van and the floor and the wall near door needs the wood frame reparing.ant tips for getting the kitchen unit out etc.
silverback
Legendary Laner

Re: reparing caravans

Post by silverback »

Sorry have not got any experience with caravans, but what is wrong with the floor and frame!, is the wood rotten?.
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Hi, our last caravan had damp in the wall and our friend who's a joiner had a go at replacing it by stripping out the whole wall and all the wooden joists but unfortunately within a year or so it was back again. Sorry our's isn't a very positive experience, good luck with yours )t'

One of the members on here has a husband who is interested in restoring caravans so hopefully she'll spot your thread and maybe be able to offer advice.
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
redoak
Legendary Laner

Post by redoak »

I've done a bit, and it's not easy! - unless you're very handy with the DIY you're going to find it a struggle, and will probably end up a much bigger job than you expect.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

There is a very good site called "Owning, restoring and finding a classic caravan". A lot of help and advice on there.

OH has done work on quite a few vans, and totally restored a rotting wreck which we found in a friend's garden. It was a long, nine month job, but the result was worth it. I would recommend the above site, though, and best of luck.
mminor65
Learner Laner

Post by mminor65 »

Thanks, for the advice. The floors not rotten seems to have been small fire at some point and needs some of the frame work replacing, but looks like the kitchen unit needs to come out first.!!!