Advice about cavity insulation

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Re: Advice about cavity insulation

Post by Spreckly »

Lancashire Lass - no gas in our village!

Ilona, thank you for taking the trouble to post all the links. I will go through them all.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Spreckly wrote:Lancashire Lass - no gas in our village!

I get my electricity from BG )t' Glad to see Ilona is on the case - hope you get somewhere
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I have gone on all Ilona's sites, and filled in all the little boxes, so just waiting to see what happens. Also going to phone council on Thursday when the lady who deals with grants is back in the office.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

If you have any neighbours, ask them too, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

The Council Grants Dept contacted me this morning. Apparently the Government pulled the plug on insulation grants last year, without warning. So, rather miffed. If we were on some benefits, we would be eligible, but as we have been careful all our lives, we are not, and as usual, penalised for frugality. Didn't vote for this Government anyway.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Oh, Spreckly I am sorry to hear that. Hopefully one of the other ones that MQ put links up for will come up with the goods. I do hope so. {hug}
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

The thing that has put me off in the past is that we have an open fire in one room and a multi-fuel stove in another. As I understand it we would have to have large ventilation holes knocked in the wall, which to me seems to defeat the purpose.
Michael
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Well, cavity wall insulation done. Not impressed with firm, who we obtained through the council. None of the the sites Ilona took the trouble to find for me got back to us.

Last week the surveyor arrived four hours later than arranged, and measured up in the dark!!! We got a cancellation for today, so we were booked in for 8am, the men arrived at 1.30 'ish, and what a mess they have left!

Apart from the boss going through the whole house in his working boots (he escaped my eagle eye), they have left the window sills covered in brick dust. OH will have to get up his ladder tomorrow and clear that lot off, never mind cleaning the windows.

When the chaps arrived we were told to remove all ornaments from the window sills and anything from the outside walls for the vibration, so had to rush round moving stuff.

OH is now outside with the pressure washer cleaning the concrete, and I have to attack the downstairs loo and back porch, which we only decorated a few weeks since.

Not a happy bunny at all! It had better be worth it.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Sorry you didn't manage to get a freebie.
I had to go up the garden while they did mine, couldn't stand the noise. I wasn't told to remove things from the walls and sills though. Sounds as if they rushed the job if they were late. I can't remember anyone coming inside my house. Hopefully you will be feeling the benefits now.
Ilona
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

We phoned the firm who installed the insulation after discovering that the workmen had ripped our caravan cover, and there was a dint and scratch on the side of the van. OH livid. We mentioned this, and also that the men had left without cleaning the window sills upstairs, etc. Were told that they should have done so, and they would send them back to put matters right, and take a photo of the damage to the caravan cover and van side. I stated very firmly that I never wanted to see them again, so they sent two different men, several long life light bulbs, and in no time, they had cleaned the mess off the upstairs windows, taken photos of the damage and were on their way. Now waiting for an estimate to repair the caravan damage. The cover, of course is damaged, but we have patched it up, annoyed by the carelessness.
woollychook
Learner Laner

Post by woollychook »

I'm new to this forum but I just thought I'd jot down my experience with insulation. I moved into a 1920s/1930s ex council house semi 6 years ago and using the warm front grant had the loft insulated and the cavity walls done. The loft is fine but this old house just does not like being clogged up with polystyrene balls (which do leak out of any hole) and has caused mold round the windows and in corners of walls ever since. On the plus side my house is toasty and warm, I just don't think the house can breathe properly even with windows open.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

That says to me the company that installed the balls didn't put enough adhesive in especially around the windows. We had ours done when we lived in a 1936 semi in Kent and we had no problems at all. I would have thought you could get them back under the warrenty