Legendary Laner

Re: Luna's Ladies

Post by Linda S »

You have some very beautiful girls there Luna :-D Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you

Luna
Longlasting Laner

Post by Luna »

I'd decided to take the introductions really slowly and had separated the run so that I had oldies where they could get to nest boxes and newbies in the front part, so I could see them from the house...

At about 7.30 last night my OH alerted me to Honey who had flown on top of the trellis partition. I went to put my shoes on to go up, when I saw Treacle had followed. By the time I was ready to go, Syrup was up there too and the whole partition flipped over depositing the three of them with the oldies. I sprinted to the run but all chickens were just staring at each other surprised! No sparring, no aggression, no nothing!

So I threw round some meal worms and watched them all peck and scratch around before Flo took herself & Matilda and DJ to bed. I had to put newbies to bed again, but they all settled fine.

This morning, I separated them again but within half an hour the new girls had repeated the trick! So, I thought I'd stand in & watch them.... They've been great )t' A few times Flo or DJ would run at Treacle but when she submitted they would walk off . They've ignored the other two. I can only hope this continues....

It's fascinating watching chickens & their psychology!

Oh and tonight Treacle and Syrup put themselves to bed, so just Honey needing a hand {hug}
Jo x
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."
Atticus Finch in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' by Harper Lee
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

You se nothing deters a determined chook, great that they are getting on so well :-D Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Lovely little girls envy}}
LYN
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

What gorgeous girls )t' Lovely expressions on those beautiful faces
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

Its great that they are getting on so well. I find this introduction lark somewhat stressful. Your girls are little stars. )app(
Luna
Longlasting Laner

Post by Luna »

Everything is continuing to go well )t'

The new girls now put themselves to be and last night Honey and Syrup beat the old girls in, but luckily chose different perces to my ex-batts favourite spot! It's half of a 6' by 4' converted shed with about 5 perches of different heights, so plenty of choice, but so often they all want the same place!

The only little bit of agro we have is DJ (lowest in pecking order of oldies) trying to beat up Treacle who is most dominate of newbies. It's not too bad, just a chase and when DJ catches Treacle she grabs her neck feathers. She has not pulled any out and lets go when Treacle squawks. Do I let this happen so that the pecking order is established? Or do I intervene?

The run has 4 different feed and water stations on different levels, so everyone can eat in peace as the ex-batts stay at ground level and Matilda, the bluebelle, loves the new chickens!! She's number 2 hen and has really taken them under her wing {hug}
Jo x
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

what a beautiful flock really stunning girls ,looking forward to the next instalment )t'

dont forget the fluffy bloomer shots for aishakali she is a fluffy knicker admirer {rofwl}
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
Luna
Longlasting Laner

Post by Luna »

Big day today.... My little Treacle laid her first egg )t' I posted the news in its own thread as I was so proud of her!

Had a good day out with them today despite the rain... They all seem to be quite relaxed and I'm hopeful they'll become one big happy flock. At the moment, they split into oldies and newbies when they scratch round the run, although Matilda often joins the younger ones.
Jo x
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Well done Treacle )t' It is such fun when they are split isnt it, no matter they will get there soon
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

Luna
Longlasting Laner

Post by Luna »

We had a lovely day in the garden yesterday, enjoying the sunshine and letting the new girls out of their Walk-in-Run for the first time....

The old battie girls show it's fun and safe:

Matilda and Flo make the most of an unplanted veg patch:

Honey, Syrup and DJ outside the Walk-in-Run, with Treacle watching from inside - how did you get there she wonders?!

Treacle, Syrup and Honey investigate the summerhouse where the dog sleeps during the day...

And after a long day scratching in flowerbeds, it's time for fourty winks in the shade of the woodpile...
Jo x
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Ahh bless :-D Love the dirt bathing one )t'
LYN
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

They certainly look like they are having a lovely time )t' To answer your other post, let them get on with it, if there is no blood or really bad aggression they will be fine

Luna
Longlasting Laner

Post by Luna »

sandy wrote:They certainly look like they are having a lovely time )t' To answer your other post, let them get on with it, if there is no blood or really bad aggression they will be fine

Thanks Sandy, I took your advice and they've all settled together really well. Makes me feel I could introduce another 2 before the summer is out..... {rofwl}

Can't quite believe it's been a week since I last posted.... Treacle, bless her, has laid an egg every single day since her first one on 13/April >ch< . She's really spoiling us {hug} The first one was enormous and a double yolker that went into the yorkshire pudding mix - what a waste! Then the next week's eggs were all quite small, more bantam sized I'd imagine, but yesterday and todays would class as medium-large. All the kids want Treacle eggs at the moment!

The other newbies Honey and Syrup are doing well too but no sign of them laying. They're 19 wks and 17 wks, so still early days. Both are a bit flighty but are getting more confident each day and love free ranging with the others in the main garden.

My only worry right now is that Flo, head hen, didn't come out of the shed this morning. I went in to see her and she jumped off the perch onto the side to say hello but looked a bit puffed up and sleepy. I broke my own rule of no treats in the morning and threw some dried mealworms around in the Walk-in-Run to see if she'd go and get them, which she did, but she doesn't look 100%. She'll have been out of the cages 2 years in July, so maybe she was just feeling her age this morning. I hope she's okay when I get home from work..... >fi<
Jo x
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

>fi< >fi< >fi<
LYN