The Ladies of Rohan

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: The Ladies of Rohan

Post by Annie »

Re stockholm tar , I would just take the persons word for the taste and wouldn't advise substituting your new found love of eggs for breakfast for a slice of toast and ****. Did use the stuff many many years sgo on the horses but can't see it being suitable for hens. Got any saddlers nearby they may sell purple spray ?
Feather eating is sometimes a sign of a slight lack of protein, do you add any extras to the girls diets at all, or stick to the pellets ?
I am sorry your eldest son suffered in his younger days, could SWMBO perhaps have gone a little too far in preparing him for the ways of women by literally 'hen pecking ' him?
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful

Riders of Rohan
Learner Laner

Post by Riders of Rohan »

Unfortunately I am now in disgrace having spilt GENTIAN VIOLET SOLN onto the coffee table. I know I had no business fiddling about with it especially on a new table, trouble is some people panic at the sight of purple fluid. I've managed to clean up the table but can do nothing about SWMBO's purple hands!!!
Well Farmgate's Layers Pellets are supposed to contain everything the discerning hen needs, but of course if you're so discerning you don't eat them in the first place then maybe there will be some shortage of something or other.
Purely for Entertainment Purposes I have occasionally supplied Sweetcorn (dangling on a string), a piece of wholemeal toast (disgarded un-pecked), brocolli (likewise) and a satsuma (LBH was prepared to try it, out of misplaced loyalty I fear, she pecked it shook her head and walked off).
If Zazu likes her pellets free style scattered everywhere then so be it, but she'd better not let me down, I'm running out of ideas and the wife's running out of fingers.
Why Riders of Rohan? Used to work for a bus company called Yorkshire Rider, now own a Rohan clothing shop, sorry I'm no Tolkein!
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Right I will don my serious face for a minute , gosh that is uncomfortable.
Bread is not a great titbit, hens have a little bit of trouble breaking it down and digesting it , could get stuck in the crop and go sour. Citrus fruit to be avoided - haven't got the fogiest why just keep reading it. Good titbits with added value as they contain protein, dried mealworms, live maggots,oily fish such as tuna /sardine.
I have got 16 of the wee feathered knickered darlings and before bedtime (theirs not mine) I make a warm mash with layers pellets and add something from the aforementioned list to the mash ( when its sardines )loo( ).

And smile {rofwl}
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Riders of Rohan
Learner Laner

There is no doubt that Zazu prefers to work at finding her food. Sprinkling some pellets had her chasing about feeding and then later kicking the wood chips over the mealworm gave her and others some entertainment.
I read somewhere that hanging up some cd's provided a distraction for peckers who would prefer to peck at the cds. It didn't seem to work so I am wondering has Celine Dion lost her appeal? When I asked SWMBO for some old cds she pointed in the direction of a bag of already discarded cd's, I am sorry for those who may like her but the first two out of the bag were Dions. The hens also seemed singularly unimpressed.
LBH got the purple liquid treatment this morning, somehow I also managed to get it my arm and on my sleeve. A chance visit (I was passing) to Jollyes pet supplies produced some anti-peck spray, so three of the four were sprayed with this.
The spray seemed popular, well more popular than Celine's efforts, so much so that while I was standing watching holding the spray LBH sneeked round the back and pecked me. Surely this isn't supposed to happen, and does it make me bottom in the pecking order.
None of this black magic seems to be working.
Why Riders of Rohan? Used to work for a bus company called Yorkshire Rider, now own a Rohan clothing shop, sorry I'm no Tolkein!
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

What on earth did you (really) use the gentian violet for pre 1987? CDs are a washout, who evers they may be plus a dangling bit of wood with bells on it. They are now all covered in very old cobwebs and look great on Hallowe'en! I hope your anti peck spray works but you do know you can get a lot of things on the internet if they are not in your local shops. I have a girl who does exactly the same, spends the morning pecking at the ground I started chucking pellets around but the mice family who survived the flooding just get even more encouraged unless I pick it up with the evening poo pick and my back just can't take it. This may help, perhaps she is scared to go to the bowls so I have 9 so there is always one free with only 5 hens.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

ROR your posts do make me giggle :-D My girls weren't interested in cd's either :? . It seems the only thing that keeps them amused is a Sweetheart (its got to be Sweetheart, not that crinkly stuff, they eat that under sufference! :? ) cabbage hung up. I usually cut one in half or quarters if its big so they all get a chance at it :-D
LYN
Riders of Rohan
Learner Laner

Sandy - the Gentian stuff was probably used for Nappy Rash. Our eldest would be nearly 3 months old in September 1987. I think we got it because we had hired a caravan in Cirencester from a colleague at work.
Our fellow holidaymakers probably wished they hadn't booked the same week as us. I spent every night marching up and down the caravan with a screaming baby with [presumably] a purple back side.
The thing that worked best was a record by Samantha Fox. So this is my chance to apologise to anyone woken from their slumbers some time in September 1987 by sounds of a baby screaming and Samantha Fox belting out.
Those were the days of shell suits and big hair dos, and I regret to say we had matching shell suits.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Hmmm didn;t know it was used for that >coc< Not sure what caused the nappy rash, the caravan or Cirencester {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Hello, any news? Not heared about your ladies for ages

Riders of Rohan
Learner Laner

It has been a couple of months since my last update from the Chicken Bunker EPU (Egg Production Unit). The Latest Unseasonal Weather to hit the area has produced the deepest snow the Ladies have experienced. So much so the first morning only LBH and Zazu were prepared to venture out, not surprising as the snow had formed drifts across the pen. Eventually both Bluebell and the Sussex were persuaded out by a combination of overnight hunger and the sounds of the other two eating all the Layer Mash.
Now the snow is melting and the sloping ground in the pen may yet prove to be the masterstroke of design I always knew it to be. SWMBO claimed that my pure laziness had been the driving force behind the slope, however drainage has always figured high on my agenda ever since the unfortunate incident with the toilet plunger (not something to discuss on here).
Egg production has remained high at 3 or 4 per day and the EPU Production Manager has been well satisfied with efforts, so much so that the Warehouse has found over stocking to be a problem. SWMBO has developed a complex system of storage that has resulted in my receiving a number of verbal warnings for placing things out of order, if only she could manage to stick to the same complex system for long enough for me to understand it (3 to 5 years is usually about right).
LBH has grown up and may have to be re-named BH (Brown Hen) if this growth continues. She seems to have over come the feather pecking and has become at feeding time quite an aggressive performer. This Month's "Hen Pecked of the Month" Award now appears to be between the Sussex and me, there's plenty of time to go and I have cheated a little by squirting Stockholm Tar on the Sussex to prevent any further pecking.... as the guy from the Animal Supplies pointed out
"it tastes like sh*t".
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Hello good to see you again LOR, a good update from you but it leaves with a question at the very end.......................................just how does the petshop guy know that about ST ? )t'
Riders of Rohan
Learner Laner

On Stockholm Tar just put it down to him having Good Product Knowledge, but more worrying is - how does he know what Sh*t tastes like?
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Well you need to even things up and squirt some on yourself? I am not surprised your girls didn't fancy coming out of a nice warm house when face with drifts

aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Glad you are back ROR. You have given me my giggle for today {rofwl}
LYN
Riders of Rohan
Learner Laner

The giant snow drift that looped itself over the chicken coop has now nearly gone, it's in 2 halves one rises up the ladder to the pop hole. The Ladies have effectively adopted this as part of the access arrangements and is no longer the expected white colour. The second part of the drift sits on top of the nest boxes, access to the eggs is now through the coop rather than attempting to lift the nest box lid weighed down by snow.
The rest of the snow gradually left the chicken bunker over the last week, in fact two days ago the Ladies declared the dust bath open for business and flicked a slightly soggy "dust" over each other.
The dust bath is an old 4x4 tyre filled with a mixture of sand and compost. The compost was bought hastily in the "summer" as part of the Calder valley's flood defences, supplies of sand bags had run out and with the waters still rising we needed to protect the latest small part of the Rohan empire. Not really sure compost in plastic bags has the same water repellancy as sand bags and thankfully it was not put to the test, but needs must!
The scientists of the future that presently are being potty trained, sent to nursery school, and are refusing to eat their apple and banana puddings will in 20+ years time stand up and tell the world "there is no such thing as Global Warming, you've all been conned".
Until that time we will all freeze in winter and paddle in summer flood-water and wonder just when is it going to get warmer.
PS it tried to snow this morning 9th April 2013.