Home needed for lovely Speckled Maran

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
gc1608
Learner Laner

Home needed for lovely Speckled Maran

Post by gc1608 »

We have a lovely speckled maran hybrid who we've sadly decided to try to re-home now she's on her own. Her name's Marcella, and is the last of our 3 hens, having lost her remaining companion, Tiger-Lilly our ranger recently. She's 3yrs, lays well, and is a lovely-natured hen.

She's a tough bird, having survived an encounter with an urban fox, and made an excellent recovery from an operation last year to remove an obstruction in her crop. There are no outward signs she's unhappy for being on her own right now, but everything I've read seems to say that it's not adviseable, and we'd rather give her the opportunity to integrate with other hens now rather than leaving it too late.

We did look into Raystede, the animal sanctuary near Lewes taking her and they seemed really lovely, but they've just taken a large number (250) of ex free-range farm hens, a lot of which seemed to have been quite badly pecked, and our daughter was worried that our hen might be picked on.

We'd dearly love her to go to a caring home, so please get in touch if you have room for one more.

Wellington Boot
Lively Laner

Re: Home needed for lovely Speckled Maran

Post by Wellington Boot »

Whereabouts are you? I'm just south of Manchester, right on the M60, I'd be happy to take her, if you can get her near here?
[center]Wellington Boot Garden Farm is now open for business.
Search for us on Facebook, or check out the website at www.wellingtonbootfarm.co.uk
[/center]
casiraghi
Learner Laner

Post by casiraghi »

I'm hoping that as you quote Raystede you are Sussex based. I'll PM you. :-D

Caroline
gc1608
Learner Laner

Post by gc1608 »

Just realised I didn't give our location!

Thanks for the offer Bettythebass, but we're in Sussex.

Caroline - I'll drop you a pm.

Thanks
Graham
casiraghi
Learner Laner

Post by casiraghi »

Hi there

I'll wait on your PM, I'm on annual leave tomorrow and Friday but will check my messages periodically. )t'

Caroline