compost

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Wellington Boot
Lively Laner

compost

Post by Wellington Boot »

Hello you green fingered people.

Quick question, I started filling my compost bin last October, and by February it was full, so I've left it alone since then. Its just got the sawdust, straw and poo from my chicken coop in it.

Anyway I was doing some planting out yesterday, and as I've run out of compost, I decided to investigate the compost bin, I pulled out the bottom and although it wasn't completely composted, it seemed better than nothing, so I mixed it in with soil from the garden, and went ahead. Will that be ok?

Once I was done, I went back to the compost bin, to try and push down the stuff on the top (I'd made a cave at the bottom) and generally give it all a poke with my garden fork, and I noticed a really musty smell, and quite a bit of mold, growing on the top. What do I do about that? Leave it, or try and fish out the moldy bits? How come its suddenly started to go moldy after being fine for months?

}hairout{
[center]Wellington Boot Garden Farm is now open for business.
Search for us on Facebook, or check out the website at www.wellingtonbootfarm.co.uk
[/center]
redoak
Legendary Laner

Re: compost

Post by redoak »

Sounds like it's been too dry. Water it and mix it up a bit. If it is dry, it will need watering quite a few times to get it soaked through.
Brianfromdorset
Lively Laner

Re: compost

Post by Brianfromdorset »

I agree with redoak.
My compost bin was doing the same, I find that regularly emptying it and mixing it all up with a fork speeds up things.