Ball Prunitis, and the Mad Pruner of Surrey

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Ball Prunitis, and the Mad Pruner of Surrey

Post by rhubarb93 »

On GQT last Sunday I heard pippa Greenwood talking about her disapproval of those members of society (mostly men!) who insist on pruning everything into round shapes.

I have one of those! To make matters worse, when he thinks something is "untidy" he prunes regardless of the time of year or correct method for the plant. As a result, few flowering shrubs get to flower in our garden.

Yesterday I caught him in time to stop him "tidying up" the Hibiscus, which is going to be magnificent in a month or so. He claimed he was "just taking out crossing branches", the correct method for fruit trees and shrubs, but not Hibiscus.

Today our Viburnam came into flower - well some of it did! There is a patch of white on the side and the front is completely bald. The bush is also a very ugly rounded cube shape.

HELP! Anyone got any ideas how to fix this? I have tried politely suggesting he read the garden encyclopaedia for when and how, before he starts cutting things, but he won't listen.

I don't know whether to {rofwl} , {cry} , or }hairout{ I mostly get {mr.angry} these days!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Ball Prunitis, and the Mad Pruner of Surrey

Post by Mo »

I should let him prune them - no stopping a man anyway. So draw a chalk line 2" from the ground 'cut here'.
Then plant it up with annuals and bedding plants. Or extra chickens.

freecycle the pruners?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

My Viburnum is the same, but our problem is wind. One side is full of beautiful scented flowers but the other side is bare. I tend to leave it and usually it flowers later on.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Hire him out to people with overgrown gardens! My dh only does what I call 'demolition gardening' - I don't let him near anything he might be able to damage.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

Hard to stop that kind of pruner. I spend my work trying to repair that sort of damage. Think you will just have to be propriatorial about your favourites and say " I will prune that one, don't touch it"
I have left gardens when people wouldn't listen - the worst was one where he asked and was told on no account touch the magnolia. I went back to find he had taken a chainsaw to the main branches. The wife said plaintively , "but it will grow back " to which I could only say NO, not in any pretty way.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!