Helen's plot

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
p.penn

Helen's plot

Post by p.penn »

Hmmm. Well, I know I have been a little apathetic about veg growing before, but after the disasters of last year, this year I am really thinking to keep my growing to a bare minimum.

Maybe just some runner beans. And possibly beetroot. And leeks.....oh dear. I know what I am like once I get started! :oops:
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Stef
Legendary Laner

Re: Helen's plot

Post by Stef »

Yes, just the one, sorry, three indulgences and suddenly...... what about some lovely winter greens later in the year :-D
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

And surely you cant leave out all the lovely summer salad. lettuce, raddish, spring onions, tomato,s and of course cucumber :-D :-D
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Helen, I replied yesterday but instead of submitting it appears I scrubbed it - fogey moment again !

Apathetic is not a word I would ever use to describe you especially with your veggie gardening. You are so busy in the summer months and even if the weather is kind, you can only alot so much time to the veg patch.
Just plan to grow what you know will give you results without too much effort, in your mini greenhouse and in tubs and let the chooks out to weed the rest. x
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Hi Helen

The three things you have picked out to grow are fine and realy wont take to much of your time.Make sure with your beans you dig in plenty of rotted manure or compost ,beans are hungrey as make alot of growth in one summer and dont let them dry out.
Beetroot Bolthardy are the best as dont run to seed as easy if they dry out to much .

Reading what Annie says you dont get much time in the summer ,might i sugest buying leek plants ready to go in as once watered into there hole can be left much to look after themselves and enjoyed through autum and winter. >gl<
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Thank you Bill. Sadly the beans I planted last year just got instantly noshed - it has put me off growing them quite a lot. }hairout{

I usually grow Boltardy and have been very pleased with them - I will see if I have some seeds. I also may have some leek seeds, I will see. I find them quite easy - just sow them into a pot and once germinated, stick them into the mini greenhouse, where they stay for months {rofwl}

Then just poke a hole, add water and drop them in. Simples!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Hahahaha! Oh well, I think this year has been an epic FAIL!!!! Nil points so far! {rofwl}

A very enthusiastic friend has offered to come and help me dig my plot next week, which has kind of hit my 'guilty of being a lazy cow' nerve, and so today, I have started.

Can you see the bit I did today? No? Well get a magnifying glass.... {rofwl} I have done about a fifth I guess, but I am really tired and just cannot do any more. }hairout{

Still, it's a start. If I perk up later, I may try to sow some seeds in my mini greenhouse. That would be nice. :-D
Helen xx

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

you do need to build up a level of fitness in the garden! I remember the first day at my first plot and all I managed to dig and clear was a strip about 5 feet long and 2 feet wide and that was me done in for the day LOL Suddenly the small half plot looked the size of 2 full size football pitches and seemed like an impossible job.

Sowing seeds is a less energetic form of gardening and much more rewarding )t'
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Helen, I am just using 2 raised beds and lots of pots this year, I can't face digging the borders just yet either.
There is no point at all in over taxing yourself as you will lose any enjoyment in what you are doing.
I would rather grow a few peas in a big tub that will give me a couple of servings than wear myself out trying to grow enough for the freezer.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I have had another couple of goes at digging again today - my God, that was hard work! Really heavy clay with those horrible horsetail weeds too. Still, I have done 95% of it now, and to be honest, that may just have to do as the bits of grass etc are really tricky to get at.

I treated myself to some veg plants today - why not I thought!

It's a good solution for me at the moment as life has been a bit hectic! So I bought 2 pots of runner beans, 1 of sugar snap peas (not grown these before!) a tray each of parsnips and beetroot, and some leek seeds, which I will sow over the weekend. I intend to keep the plants in my mini greenhouse for a couple of weeks, and gradually harden them off.

So, the plot is all systems go now )c( although I wish I had more energy or a gardener!
Helen xx

jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Well done for getting that digging done Helen )app( .. I am growing most things in raised beds now so don't have the heavy digging to do. :-D
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Well done Helen - you've done more digging than I have today :-D I spent an hour on my hands and knees trying to get dandelions out without breaking the roots - when I'd finished, I'd cleared about a 3 foot square }hairout{

Now you've bought the veggie plants it's a slippery slope...

I keep meaning to say - I love your new avatar )t'
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Thank you! +f+
Helen xx

p.penn

Post by p.penn »

It's all sytems go on the plot now! A friend emptied my composter for me a few days back, and I have spread/dug it in (more or less!) and planted runner bean and sugarsnap pea plants, 2 roma tomato plants, beetroot and parsnip plants. I have also put some parsnips in one of my raised beds in case the others fork due to the compost.

I have watered them in and sprinked slug pellets all around. Hooray! )c(

Just leeks and courgettes now, and maybe a couple of sprout plants if I can find any.
Helen xx

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

>fi< here's hoping for a bountiful growing year :-D