Our synthetic grass

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Our synthetic grass

Post by Annie »

We decided to go down this route as we are sick of replacing the proper stuff that is constantly getting spoilt by dog wee and marauding hens.
Eck did it himself , we did have a quite last year but that was in excess of £1000 and we have done it for less than half that.
The garden is slightly sloped and very uneven so first of all Eck built a timber frame and made sure that this was standing level by using bricks etc to raise one corner in particular.
Next he made the frame rigid by putting in timber batons.
Then the whole lot had timber planks fixed, not butting tightly but a little space to allow for drainage.
Finally the grass was put on top of the construction and Eck cut it a little oversize.
To finish it off, he fixed log roll around the edges and this also secured the grass well.
Early days yet but we are pleased with the effect, the grass has tiny drainage holes so when it rains the water quickly goes through and the grass drys quickly too.
The dogs are using it for peeing but only one poop and it picked up no problem.
Its a flat surface so no more wobbly table and chairs.
Because its been put onto a frame the substructure underneath still allows the worms and other beasties to carry on with their lives.
Eck hosed and swept it yesterday - 5 minute job.
Only time will tell if it is as good as its promoted to be so watch this space.
The ex batts were fooled by the way - photo call only, they are not allowed on here !
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Re: Our synthetic grass

Post by MissEllie »

Ooh that's so spooky Annie, we were just talking about this the other evening and saying how great it sounded.
Your post has answered every question we had about it so thank you )t' it looks great, well done to Eck )app( (I hope he was rewarded with a wee Glayva for all his hard work)
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

It looks fabulous Annie - well done Eck!
(I bet you're going to start posing all your chicken photos on the 'grass' now so that the rest of us will be jealous of your greenery )gr:
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

LittleBrownFrog wrote:It looks fabulous Annie - well done Eck!
(I bet you're going to start posing all your chicken photos on the 'grass' now so that the rest of us will be jealous of your greenery )gr:

Hahaha you have seen right through me there LBH.
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

[quote="MissEllie"]Ooh that's so spooky Annie, we were just talking about this the other evening and saying how great it sounded.
Your post has answered every question we had about it so thank you )t' it looks great, well done to Eck )app( (I hope he was rewarded with a wee Glayva for all his hard work)
[/qu

Ellie we ordered the grass on line as we found we could get a piece large enough for us not to have to seam it. The tape is quite expensive and with all the rain in this neck of the woods we were concerned in case it wouldn't stand up to the constant wet.
You will be over here soon, so you can see for yourself what you think {hug}
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

It looks really good Annie )t'
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

It looks brilliant Annie. Have to say that does tempt me as our lawn is always awful. We've just put more down as we made the Walk-in-Run a lot smaller last year and we now have about 3 different colours of lawn {rofwl}
Lyn
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Annie wrote:You will be over here soon, so you can see for yourself what you think {hug}

)t' )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
wendy

Post by wendy »

It has crossed our minds a number of times. It looks lovely.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Looks smashing Annie! )app( Eck {hug}
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Very pretty Annie, are you going to plant it with artificial daisies now? )run(

Well done Eck, you are a lucky man that Annie finds all these things to keep you occupied.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Mrs B wrote:Very pretty Annie, are you going to plant it with artificial daisies now? )run(

Well done Eck, you are a lucky man that Annie finds all these things to keep you occupied.

no need for artificial flowers Mrs B ,the Forsythia is dropping its yellow flowers because its windy, very pretty makes the lawn very realistic but a bit of a devil to sweep off, might have to get Eck to pick them up by hand that will keep him quiet .
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

That looks really great )t' I hate mowing I really do - especially as it needs doing weekly - so I'd be interested in how it keeps.

Annie wrote: very pretty makes the lawn very realistic but a bit of a devil to sweep off

can't you use a hoover? I know that sounds a bit silly the more I think about it LOL (visions of your neighbours looking out the bedroom windows and shaking their heads in disbelief {rofwl} ) but if the synthetic grass dries quickly, isn't it like a deep pile rug?
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

I may be having a blonde moment here Annie but what I don't understand is the need for a frame for this grass >coc<

I have this image in my head of your lawn being like a trampoline as I think you said it's got a timber frame. I still love the idea, we are currently having to cut our grass twice a week :?
Lyn
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I think Eck built a frame so that he could make the lawn flat and level, because it was lumpy-bumpy before
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.