I go Geocaching.

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
ihatejacknjills
Lively Laner

Re: I go Geocaching.

Post by ihatejacknjills »

I got a Garmin etrex H for £65 from amazon.co.uk - it seems to be pretty accurate but doesn't have support for maps. I purposefully got one without maps because I don't need that feature - an I figured that viewing maps on a tiny gps screen wouldn't be that helpful anyway.

It still only gives you accuracy up to about 15 feet but I don't think you can get a lot better than that...
Daryl
Lively Laner

Post by Daryl »

The Garmin Etrex Venture HC does have maps and TBH they do make a difference, especially if you are caching in an area that you don't know. It is usually accurate to within about 4 ft, depending on the planters own GPS of course and how accurate that is. Also with this model it has a Geocaching mode on it so that you can download caches straight to it from your pc and then when you are in the area you can click on nearest caches and it will tell you which ones are closest.
New to chicken keeping so please be patient with me!
ihatejacknjills
Lively Laner

Post by ihatejacknjills »

I found my first cache yesterday - it was pretty exciting. It was hidden in some bushes but there were people around so I had to try hard to stay out of site. It felt like I was doing something I shouldn't and I got pretty excited when I found the box. I took a geocoin out of it which I am going to stash in another cache at the weekend.
Daryl
Lively Laner

Post by Daryl »

How is everybody doing with their caching? It is much more fun now being able to get out during the lighter evenings. No. 114 and counting!
New to chicken keeping so please be patient with me!
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

Nothing since Easter - I'm sooooo busy and the weather has been quite rubish. Hoping to catch up this week )t'
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
RachelG
Lively Laner

Post by RachelG »

Oh wow - fellow cachers - just started up again since the snow, and wondering has anyone attended a geocaching event?
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Resurrecting an ancient thread :-D
We've just bought a gps thingummy for geocaching. We've used the app on my 'phone to find a couple of caches, but my 'phone is too fragile to let the children carry it over bumpy ground. So - we were sent money by my Grandma to 'buy something for the children' and have decided to spend it on one of these.
We went out hunting for a cache after dinner, knowing that there was one less than 500 yards away - didn't find it though, so will go back tomorrow and try again when the children are less tired and there are fewer people hanging around outside the pubs.

Anyone else?
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I have often thought it would be a fun thing to do, although not tried it yet myself :-D .
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

We used to do a lot of Dartmoor Letterboxing as children, which is the original, low-tech version of geocaching. It adds another dimension to a walk - I'm happy to just walk for the sake of walking, but the children like having a point/purpose to the walk.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Glad this thread was resurrected! It set me off looking around, and I really quite fancy having a go.
I discovered that the National Trust have GPS thingies to try for free at some of their places. A brilliant way to find out if you'd enjoy it without shelling out for stuff you might not use.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

The national trust ones sound like a good idea.
We found two while out walking with the dog this afternoon, and my 8 year old has definitely got the bug - he was all for ignoring his sister's protests of sore legs (she's only four, and hasn't been well), saying 'but there's one only a thousand metres away...' :-D