Baytril egg withdrawl period

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Baytril egg withdrawl period

Post by redd_angel55 »

As you might have read in my other thread, one of my new ex-batts is on Baytril and my Vet recommended to withdraw the eggs for one week after the last dose. That's exactly what I did when I administered Baytril before.
Since then someone told me that their Vet told them to never ever eat the eggs again once a hen has been on Baytril!
I searched the net and there are several posts on other sites that also state not to eat the eggs again. I am confused now (doesn't take much!) :?
I just emailed Bayer for some clarification.
Have you heard that you can't eat the eggs ever again? >coc<
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x
R.I.P: Ellie, Phoebe, Tikka

Freshstart for hens collection point Aylesbury, Bucks

fishpond
Legendary Laner

Re: Baytril egg withdrawl period

Post by fishpond »

I was told last week by my vet that withdrawal period is 4 weeks after completion of course.
She is on 2ml a day for a week.
No problem can withstand the power of continuous thought.
pepi
Longlasting Laner

Post by pepi »

study the leaflet that comes with the Baytril - it should tell you what the withdrawal period is.
SHOCKING if its a permanent withdrawal!! )de:
tamk23
Legendary Laner

Post by tamk23 »

I believe it has now changed to say that eggs can never be eaten again, however, at some point all of my older chickens have been on baytril and I've not killed over yet from eating their eggs x
Tammy xxx

Mum to two girls Violet and Iris and Hubby! 7 chickens, Easter, Bunny, Daisy, Tulip, Primrose, Buttercup, Snowdrop, 2 silkie chicks Teddy & Rainbow. 1 cat, Gromit. 2 gerbils cheese and onion, 2 guinea pigs Bangers & Mash and my Min Pin puppy Betty. RIP my little Casserole, Hotpot & Stew x Goodnight to my wonderful cat Chance and my wonderful dog Hamish xx
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

I read on an American blog that some vets recommend total withdrawal of eggs because it can make some people less susceptible to antibiotics if they ever need them. Some people do withdraw and some people continue to eat the eggs. This is just what I have read and I wouldn't want to influence anyone. I guess everyone has to decide for themselves.
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

pepi wrote:study the leaflet that comes with the Baytril - it should tell you what the withdrawal period is.
SHOCKING if its a permanent withdrawal!! )de:

I haven't got a leaflet. Vet game me just enough for one week in a different bottle! I am eager to hear what Bayer have to say!
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x

LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I'm sure that Manda posted something about this a while back - along these lines I think:
ChickenCarol wrote:I read on an American blog that some vets recommend total withdrawal of eggs because it can make some people less susceptible to antibiotics if they ever need them. Some people do withdraw and some people continue to eat the eggs. This is just what I have read and I wouldn't want to influence anyone. I guess everyone has to decide for themselves.

I'll have a dig about and see if I can find it.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Quoting from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=40605&p=567436&hilit=antibiotics#p567011
manda wrote:It certainly seems that Tylan does a better job than Baytril but the other thing of concern is that advice is starting to come through re Baytril not being used on chickens and that if it is then you shouldn't eat the eggs of the chicken again ever - it's to do with research regarding resistance to antibiotics in humans.
It seems that Baytril is very close to an antibiotic used for humans called Ciprofloxacin and they believe that is could be causing it to become useless for someas a result of resistance being built up.

Chickens who have been treated with this are then passing on the resistance through their eggs (which lets face it are just them passing on their DNA).

The USA have apparently already banned it (or are in the process of banning it).....The info is available on the internet so maybe go back to your vet and have a discuss re this....see what is suggested.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

Manda, you put it so much better than I did. I was trying to remember what I had read on an American blog that I follow. Reading your comment, that is exactly what I had read about it.

It is worrying that the blog I read it on said her vet didn't tell her this until after her chicken had been treated with it and it's not always something we think to ask about when we are worried sick about our girls.
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

Bayer got back to me, but unfortunately they don't give advice to pet owners directly when it's a prescription medication. They gave me a number for their animal health department and suggested my Vet should call them. Not very helpful! :?
I called the surgery and asked the receptionist to double check with the Vet regarding the egg withdrawl period. They were going to call me back straight away....errr....nearly 2hrs ago! {mr.angry}

Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

My vet told me that the issues are general resistance to any antibiotic, not just Baytril, and the fact that there is no research data to evidence the safety or otherwise of any withdrawal period. The research is done on expensive cattle, but not on cheap chooks because it isn't financially viable. That's not to say that they aren't safe after a given period, just that they have no evidence and therefore can't claim it to be so. Many people would be happy to take the 'risk' after 28 days, but you should think hard if you sell the eggs or give them to others: in fact, they did tell us not to do that.
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Post by little brown hen »

I was told by my vet 4 weeks withdrawal, you can eat them after that I'm sure, Ive never heard of never eating the eggs again. >dowhat<
Mum to Sox and Boo,and hens, Bramble,
Belle,Bourbon,Holly,Ivy, May and June
RIP Daisy my cat,and Spice, Clara, Alice, Biscuit, Cookie Clarice and Henrietta. Over rainbow bridge, but never forgotten.
pepi
Longlasting Laner

Post by pepi »

Redd_Angel, how many hens do you have? How will you know which egg is from this hen who has been given Baytril?!?!?!?!? I think this is a dreadful predicament - you gave your hen a medication by your vet to make her better, NOW you find out that her eggs may be inedible }hairout{ So how will you know which egg not to eat? Let us know what the vet says. Is your hen ok now (after the rotten Baytril)? Gosh, if its not one thing its another )hic(
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

pepi wrote:Redd_Angel, how many hens do you have? How will you know which egg is from this hen who has been given Baytril?!?!?!?!? I think this is a dreadful predicament - you gave your hen a medication by your vet to make her better, NOW you find out that her eggs may be inedible }hairout{ So how will you know which egg not to eat? Let us know what the vet says. Is your hen ok now (after the rotten Baytril)? Gosh, if its not one thing its another )hic(

Pepi, we've got 5 hens and the initial plan was to watch all them like hawks when they are laying. That would be do-able for a couple of weeks but not forever! If in doubt, all eggs of that day would have to go or be fed back to the hens. I actually decided not to give the Baytril at all now. I am convinced it's gape worm related and will continue with the wormer instead.
She is not eating by herself, so decided to syringe feed her a watery mix of mash, crushed mealworms and honey every 2hrs as she was getting weak. I think there is a slight improvement today though as she's out of the coop and sunbathing, but she's still very sleepy! On a good note, she drank a few sips of water by herself!
As for the Vet, she didn't call back yesterday, so I called again this morning. Apparently they were very busy yesterday, but she'll call me today. We'll see! :?

LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Hi )wav(

I saw 3 vets in the past month with my sick hens, two said a 2 week egg withdrawal, other said eggs should never be eaten.
The way I see it is it can't be that important if there are still tons of vets giving temporary withdrawal periods.
Although I love my girls, I got 4 "posh" girls as I wanted some eggs as the ex-batts no longer lay, it's be torture throwing all the eggs away for a month, nothing will stop me eating their eggs! {rofwl} {rofwl}