Advice on sewing machines? {Also present pictures!}

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
LisaB

Advice on sewing machines? {Also present pictures!}

Post by LisaB »

Hi everyone )wav(

I would like to buy a sewing machine as hand sewing is really making my hands ache. Can anyone recommend any sewing machines? Are there any decent cheap ones?
I wouldn't like to spend too much, something small would do.

Also, it's my sister's birthday today so I've got some pictures of her present (I know I've put some on already but it wasn't all finished then :-D ). She gave me the idea of making some material kindle/phone pouches like the one I've made for her book, which is why I'm after a sewing machine :-D

I'm going to make some phone pouches similar to the pouch I've made for her book, do you think anyone would buy these?
bobbinin
Learner Laner

Re: Advice on sewing machines? {Also present pictures!}

Post by bobbinin »

My first time posting! I do a lot of sewing as I am a quilter so have an interest in sewing machines. Have you looked in Dunelm Mill? I noticed that they had some very reasonably priced machines. Don't get a machine that does more than you need it to I.e. fancy stitches that you will never use. It is a bit like buying a washing machine that has dozens of programes but only one or two are ever used. A make you have heard of is a good idea, too, such as Janome or Singer. Have fun choosing and good luck with the sewing.
tamk23
Legendary Laner

Post by tamk23 »

Lisa it's really beautiful, very pretty.

I can offer no advice on sewing machines what so ever. {rofwl}

The last time I used one was when I was at school 15 years ago, althought for some strange reason I can still remember how to use one!

What ever you decide to make will no doubt be very pretty {hug}
Tammy xxx

Mum to two girls Violet and Iris and Hubby! 7 chickens, Easter, Bunny, Daisy, Tulip, Primrose, Buttercup, Snowdrop, 2 silkie chicks Teddy & Rainbow. 1 cat, Gromit. 2 gerbils cheese and onion, 2 guinea pigs Bangers & Mash and my Min Pin puppy Betty. RIP my little Casserole, Hotpot & Stew x Goodnight to my wonderful cat Chance and my wonderful dog Hamish xx
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Just want to say I think that doing kindle covers etc. in the same style as your sisters present wrapping would be very different. You don`t see anything like that for kindles and the wrapping is very pretty instead of boring old leather and plastic.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Thank you both :-D

Welcome to the lane bobbinin!
I only need something that sews in a line for now {rofwl}
I've been to dunelm and looked at the machines but there is only 1 under £50. What do you think of these?

http://www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/mini-st ... ine-230051

http://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-min ... =231616751

It's funny Tammy, I did textiles for 5 years in school but never learned how to use them! {rofwl} {rofwl}
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

mrs boodles wrote:Just want to say I think that doing kindle covers etc. in the same style as your sisters present wrapping would be very different. You don`t see anything like that for kindles and the wrapping is very pretty instead of boring old leather and plastic.

Oh I was just on about doing a material kindle pouch, not the wrapping paper bit, I don't think I'd be able to make a kindle case from the wrapping paper and mount board?
Unless I sew material to the inside instead and put a zip all the way around? x
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Made a real hash of posting this morning, sorry Lisa
Last edited by mrs boodles on 03 Jun 2013, 08:28, edited 1 time in total.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Hi Lisa, that post I wrote didn't quite come out as I meant it to. what I meant to say is, could you make a pouch on the same lines as the wrapping for your sisters jpresent but in a pretty material and with the buttons etc on it. I just think it is so pretty hope that makes a bit more sense than my last post.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Oh sorry! When you said wrapping I read it as wrapping paper :oops: :oops: My mistake!

But yes I'm going to make some this week with bows, buttons and flowers on them, will post pictures when I'm done :D Also going to make some felt animals for them too.

I've named my shop "littlecottonfox" like little cotton socks :-D
So todays task is making a cute little fox for my display picture for the shop.
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

Lovely work, I recommend a Toyota super jeans machine, goes through multi layers of denim, look on YouTube for a demo, they're about £140 if you shop around you can get a free sewing table extension. )t'
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

HensAloud wrote:Lovely work, I recommend a Toyota super jeans machine, goes through multi layers of denim, look on YouTube for a demo, they're about £140 if you shop around you can get a free sewing table extension. )t'

Thank you! But it's a bit too pricey for me. I only really need something that's going to sew in a straight line through thin material, wouldn't like to pay over £50 really x
urbanchicks
Longlasting Laner

Post by urbanchicks »

Hi,

Have a look on Pre-Loved ,you may get a bargain.

Maggie
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

urbanchicks wrote:Hi,

Have a look on Pre-Loved ,you may get a bargain.

Maggie

Hello!

Yes I've looked on preloved and ebay, not much there. There is one on ebay which is £4 at the moment, £25 brand new. Don't know if the machine is any good though :?
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Lisa, I am still using my Grandma's Singer hand sewing machine which is over a hundred years old. It sews heavy canvas fabric, as well as lightweight, has a long shuttle, and is serviced about once every forty years! I also have my late mil's electric machine, can't remember if it is a Singer or a Jones, but it is nowhere near as good as my old faithful, which has sewn four generations of clothes! If you could get a second hand one like mine, you would get a bargain.

Best of luck with your venture and I hope you find a reasonably priced reliable machine.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Spreckly wrote:Lisa, I am still using my Grandma's Singer hand sewing machine which is over a hundred years old. It sews heavy canvas fabric, as well as lightweight, has a long shuttle, and is serviced about once every forty years! I also have my late mil's electric machine, can't remember if it is a Singer or a Jones, but it is nowhere near as good as my old faithful, which has sewn four generations of clothes! If you could get a second hand one like mine, you would get a bargain.

Best of luck with your venture and I hope you find a reasonably priced reliable machine.

Wow, that sounds like a fantastic machine!
I've been looking for second hand ones, but my problem is I don't know what I'm looking for really >dum< it's all gibberish to me {rofwl}