Advice on sewing machines? {Also present pictures!}

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Advice on sewing machines? {Also present pictures!}

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Mo wrote:then the second time he came he said they had stopped making spare parts for it - so now I have to wind the bobbins by hand which is a pain.

The bobbin winders on most old Singers are just friction wheels and rarely go wrong. What happened to yours? Could be easily fixable.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Not sure what happened except that it didn't wind. When he serviced it the first time he commented that it still worked and said a lot didn't. Not sure which of the assorted attachments I never use it is.

Would the serial number be F 7606281
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Mo,
That serial No is a Singer 66K made between January & June 1917 at the Kilbowie factory, Clydebank in Scotland.
Even the whole bobbin winder assemblies aren't that hard to come by on fleabay.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

F7669538

Ahhhh, haven't looked at my singer for years - its so lovely
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

p.penn wrote:F7669538

Ahhhh, haven't looked at my singer for years - its so lovely

It's a Singer 99k, The little sister to Mo's 66K, also made between January & June 1917 at Kilbowie, Scotland. The 99k was a three quarter sized 66K made to be more portable )t'
Dom
Ali Woks My World
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Ahh Perchy your sewing machine is lovely!! +f+

And thank you so much for commenting on the JL machine, Helen. I think it does sound good enough to do what I want it to do, don't want to do anything too complicated at the moment. Think I will order that one and in the mean time I'll keep my eye out for Singers in charity shops and online. Do you think anyone would sell one at a carboot sale? My dad goes to one every few weeks, might be worth me tagging along next time :)
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

We got one of our old Singers at a car boot sale.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Totally Scrambled wrote:We got one of our old Singers at a car boot sale.
Dom

Oh yes you did say! Sorry, somethings just go in one ear (eye? :? ) and out the other >dum<

Will have a look next time :-D
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

I've got an old singer too Lisa (like Doms) - it works perfectly and is beautiful as well (I think it is anyway) - just be aware they're blooming heavy so you wont want to be lumping it around a lot.
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

julie62 wrote:I've got an old singer too Lisa (like Doms) - it works perfectly and is beautiful as well (I think it is anyway) - just be aware they're blooming heavy so you wont want to be lumping it around a lot.

Thanks Julie,
I'm going to probably buy the one from John Lewis for now, as I have the strength of a peanut so I'll need one I can move around on my own anyway, and will just keep my eye out for a Singer going cheap close by :-D they are beautiful machines!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

well I certainly wouldn't cart mine around - it's a treadle machine, like a piece of furniture.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Thanks for the info Dom - sorry, I thought I had already posted a thank you but it has vanished!

Awww 1917 - nearly 100 years old now. :-D
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

By coincidence yesterday my neighbour called me round to see a costume she is making for her daughter's dance troup. She has sewn it on her Janome, and I must say, I was hugely impressed. So many different embroiudery patterns, and the machine is very compact. However, it is around twenty plus years old.

Mo - nearly fifty years since I got the Singer man to overhaul my machine. He more or less said it was no good, couldn't do anything for it, etc., and I needed a new one. I am still using it, as I have said early on this thread, but recently I have taken it to a sewing machine repair shop locally and they serviced it, and it is still good to use.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Well I bit the bullet and bought a sewing machine. I did want the JL one but our closest shop is quite a while away and didn't want the hassle of sending it back and waiting for a replacement if anything was wrong.
I instead bought a beldray one for now, just to get used to things and will replace it when a better one comes a long.

one thing I'm having a problem with though, when i'm sewing I keep getting gaps where it's just not sewn to the material at all for 4-7 stiches. Am I doing something wrong? Have tried all sorts but I can't figure it out and there's nothing in the booklet about it >dum<
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Never mind - I'm just going to take it back.
Don't like how it works at all and just doesn't seem to go smoothly like the ones I've used in the passed - the foot pedal is also rubbish.

Guess its one of them "you get one you pay for" sort of things.

Will try and find another.