You and keeping Chickens didn't quite work out?

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
wendy

Re: You and keeping Chickens didn't quite work out?

Post by wendy »

Retford Poultry Partnership,
Unit 5
Stirling Road,
West Carr Industrial Estate,
Retford,
Notts.
DN22 7SN
Phone number 01777 703011.
Best giver them a ring first and let them know you are sending it.
Good Luck
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning

bonstey
Learner Laner

Post by bonstey »

can you tell me about ex batts keeping them warm in the winter in the hen house, my hen house is 3' x 4' do they need anything extra heat in there. i have had them 8 months now. thanks, bonstey
bonstey
Learner Laner

Post by bonstey »

thanks wendy for the name and address of the company to send the poo too. i have just taken one of my hens megan to vet she has had very watery runny poo for 3 weeks and have given her baytril, but still has it, but she is eating and drinking okay, the vet thinks she may have organ failure possiby kidneys and given me some more baytril to try again stronger dose, if she doesnt pick up after 10 days or stops eating and drinking then we know what we must do, but she seems to be scratching around and eating albeit a bit slower than the others. thanks again bonstey
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

No extra heat needed, i always put straw on top of shavings when the weather gets colder, but as long as they are dry and no drafts they should be fine )t'
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
jobypreston
Learner Laner

Post by jobypreston »

Unfortunatly I am looking for a new home for my four Warrens. This is due to me registering as a childminder. We're giving the new owner the hen house and about a months worth of layer pellets and corn. Really hate to see them go, they're part of the family practically. We're in Leigh, Greater Manchester.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I would have thought that children would benefit from seeing them around and learning where their food comes from, as long as you have a big enough garden to give the hens their own area and keep some grass clean for children's play.
Good luck finding a home if you really must.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
suncaddie7
Learner Laner

Post by suncaddie7 »

WE have Border Collies, so Chickens are a real Doddle, we spend Lots aof wet and Snowey Hours out side, and Ice we love goes For Clean Dogs, OUR GIRLS WILL DO jUST fINE, LOVE THEM.
Dogs are For Life, not a gift box
molly6dog
Learner Laner

Post by molly6dog »

Hi We're needing a good home for our 2 light Sussex as after Christmas I'm going to be day carer for my new granddaughter in her home. The girls are only just a year old and very friendly and laying well. If anyone can offer them a good home please get in touch. Worcester area.
Nicki
Learner Laner

Post by Nicki »

Hi, we have a gorgeous cockerel who was bought as a hen! After our other cockerel had an unrelated injury they are now not getting on and sadly i need to look for a new home for "percy". He is almost a year old, a big chap and a wonderful character. Not his fault he was'nt the " hyacinth" we purchased! He is very friendly and would love to live with some girls to look after. Hoping you can help ? I can send a picture if required. Many thanks.
Ps we live near Spalding, Lincolnshire
nemo1980
Learner Laner

Post by nemo1980 »

hi,
I need to rehome my girls, iv been keeping chickens for about 5 years now, but circumstances have changed and we will be moving soon and cant take them with us. we have 10, 5 ex bats and a mixture of other breeds. we love them lots and will be very sad to see them go. so i need to find them good loving homes. i live in margate so if anyone in the kent area can help, please get in touch.

thanks for reading
naomi
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi nemo,

I have posted a new thread below this one for you ('Hens for good homes in Kent ')
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
animartco
Lively Laner

Post by animartco »

Richard wrote:Hi,

What happens when you can't find homes for them ? I assume you don't charge for it and run like other hen rescue organisations, as in a nominal £1.50 per hen to cover costs etc.?

Forgot from last time, do you have your website address please as people must have some idea of where they're going etc. Or at least post some pictures

Cheers, Richard

Richard, you don't mean that people actually charge for taking the hens? That's awful! I know lots of people who take them for free, and they don't always find a good home there, although most of the people I know are very good. But I don't want mine just bunched in with a mixed flock I am looking for someone who wants to breed on and perfect the strain which I've spent a few years working on.
Sadly I'm having to move house and shan't have as much land, and probably won't even be able to keep a cockerel. So am feeling a bit disheartened at the moment.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi,

I regret as in all things, there is the odd rogue trader, especially where animals, pets or livestock are concerned.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wendy

Post by wendy »

The hens, from a bona fida rescue, I got before the last ones. I was asked for £5.00 per hen :?
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Sadchookkeeper
Learner Laner

Post by Sadchookkeeper »

I'm new to this, and sadly I've joined to try and find homes for 3 hens.

I've kept hens (inherited battery hens initially) for 4 years happily and have loved having the eggs and watching their funny little characters. Last year I lost 2 hens and took on 2 from a local keeper. Since I've had these two, all three have been more noisy and I've had an unbelievable issue with flies. I've not experienced this in the 3 previous years and I haven't changed anything I feed them or how I care for them.

I'm finding it so stressful trying to manage their noise (especially in the mornings - I cover their hen house at night when the mornings are lighter) and today, the most beautiful day of the year so far I've had to shut the doors and windows thanks to flies.

The winter has lulled me into persevering but I've got to be honest and say the ladies have to go.

So - I'm looking for anyone who could give them a home, in the Swindon Wiltshire area

>eas2< )sh