Help with a Rose

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Sheila D
Longlasting Laner

Help with a Rose

Post by Sheila D »

I have a standard rose 'Deep Secret' which has never been very healthy - not suprising as it was in the 'for sale' bin at the garden centre. It is in a plastic pot about 2ft 6" dia, and I have fed and mulched it for the past two years. It has pelleted chicken manure twice a year and a mulch of sterilised farmyard manure in the autumn. I spray with multi-rose. The flowers were originally deep red but only ever got a couple of flowers. This year there are many more buds but they are all opening pure white colour. Does anyone have any idea why? I am thinking it may be too much or little of one particular nutrient, but don't know which.
Sheila
Maggie1

Re: Help with a Rose

Post by Maggie1 »

I think you may be feeding it to much. If its turning white its going back to its natural colour before being grafted
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Are the branches that the white buds grow on coming from low down.
A standard rose might be grafted on top of a stalk of an easily propagated variety. There will often be a bulge that is the graft.
On bush types the bulge / graft will be low down.

Anything coming from below the graft is from the Rootstock. Maybe some sort of wild rose (or crab apple if it's a fruit tree).

You can often tell which branches are from the rootstock, and it's best to remove them as they will take all the goodness and the grafted variety will die. Then the tree is said to have 'reverted'.

If that's not it then I don't know.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

That could explain whats happened to ours, its a very tall bush which someone gave us.
Its a gorgeous red and a couple of years ago new shoots started coming up.
We thought it was just a lucky dropping iykwim, it is a white rose and its flowering now and it does look a wild type.
I didnt realise roses were grafted, thats something else iv learnt on dtl :-D Lindaxx

Forgeot to say the red rose has reddish leaves and the white rose has very soft green foliage and its differen to the other )t'
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Google finds me this.
Maybe it's a 'sport' - Sheila's I meant.
It does sound as if Linda's white rose is coming from the rootstock. The books say cut it out. But if you like the white one maybe you could take a cutting from it first before cutting quite all of it out.
Last edited by Mo on 16 Jun 2013, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

If the shoots that have got the white flower are coming from below the soil and not the stem you have got a sucker and thats why its white
Sheila D
Longlasting Laner

Post by Sheila D »

I think Maggie may be right. The flowers are all over the top of the rose just as they should be. I have been trying to keep the rose well nourished, as it was in such a poor state to start with - I was probably over compensating. I had no idea you could over feed. Its certainly doesn't appear to be a sucker or sport.
Sheila