Kitty's hatching adventure

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Kitty's hatching adventure

Post by kitla »

They're getting no snuggles from Beany! she's the only one being mean to them
today. They seem ok, as long as they can find eachother, but I'll indulge them with
the heater at night for another week.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant

Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Kitty your beautiful babbies are going to make stunning adults they are lovey :-D Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Its so cold & horrible outside I haven't been able to bring myself to put the
babies out in their run yet, they seem very content pottering around their cage
in my conservatory & snuggling under the heater.
In the meantime, Nettle went to bed in the big coop last night - so I discovered
when I opened up this morning! So her 3 chickies were also alone last night. Nettle
seems ok about them being with her for now, even having a snuggle, but she wont
protect them from the other chickens now & the poor little things were running the
gauntlet trying to find a safe spot in the run (everyone is sheltering from the rain)
so I've shut them & Nettle into a small run for safety while I decide what to do.
I could put Nettle back in with them tonight or bring them in with these 3.
The cage is rather small for 6 and they will probably fight, but perhaps it will help
them bond if they sleep together in the warm.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

That is disappointing. But at least you had a proper look and you know you haven't mur.dered your chicks. Better luck next time.
Life's too short to quarrel
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Kuikentje wrote:That is disappointing. But at least you had a proper look and you know you haven't mur.dered your chicks. Better luck next time.

?huh?
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Well that's that! I have all 6 chicks in my conservatory tonight, Nettle has joined
the big chooks now. Crikey it took me a long time & alllll my patience to catch
Nettle's 3. {mr.angry} Partridge, Penguin & Houdini are so much tamer now
after a couple of nights in the house (and cuddles every morning of course)
Now is my chance to tame up Curly, Brown & Blue aswell
--Immanuel Kant
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Well done on catching them Kitty, now you have plenty of excuses to have cuddles :-D .
You know tthe one that goes well mum wont cuddle them now, and its cold so im hugging them warm etc,etc {hug} Lindaxx
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

well that was a fail! The 2 groups of chicks didn't gel atall, Beany's 3 were constantly
harassed by Blue from the other group, Blue is very obviously a boy and particularly
picks on Partridge (the other one I'm certain is a boy). When I let them all out
this morning Nettle & her 3 instantly reunited & cuddled up & the other 3 are on their
own again.
Our lovely cockerel Smidge takes fatherhood seriously & even does his share of
babysitting! (Blue & Brown having a quick snuggle)
I have to say Smidge has been absolutely wonderful, he watches over the chicks,
breaks up the mum fights, finds everyone food,I would never want to be without a cockerel now, and to be honest I think the hens are noisier than him.
--Immanuel Kant
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

kitla wrote:
Kuikentje wrote:That is disappointing. But at least you had a proper look and you know you haven't mur.dered your chicks. Better luck next time.

?huh?

I was way back at the beginning when you were candling your eggs!
Life's too short to quarrel
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Kuikentje wrote:
kitla wrote:

?huh?

I was way back at the beginning when you were candling your eggs!

ahhh )t' that explains it!
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

We've taken advantage of the dry weather to move the large run, so it now adjoins
blind Giblet's palace at the end of the garden. Its taken a few days for the chooks to understand what has happened!
They love rolling in the bedding where the run was, its like a 12 foot
dustbath! But bedtime was rather stressful as Nettle insisted on hanging around
in the old runspace & nothing I could do would make her go into the new place. I
thought she's bound to go to bed once the light goes - but no, she snuggled down,
wings around her 3 chicks on the ground where the coop used to be! I had to carry them all to bed, they've eventually got the hang of it now.

Chookies enjoying the sunshine in their giant bath
Little Penguin having a private bath
My 3 house chicks basking
Dear little Party, he's going to be a really hansome boy
Penguin, Party & Houdini are still sleeping in my conservatory at night, they gather
at the door asking to come in. They're very tame now & follow me round the garden
and let me pick them up, Penguin especially likes being fussed. Party is the leader
and definitely a boy, I so hope the other 2 are girls.
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

well 7 weeks old & I'm pretty certain what I have. 4 boys & 2 girls. Penguin actually
crowed yesterday! more of a croak really, but the 4 boys have been doing a lot of
"facing up" to eachother so I'm pretty sure really.
here's Penguin (who I've nicknamed Berty-bathtub as he loves dustbathing so much),
hansome Party and of the girls) just after Penguins croak.
Miss Brown
Blue - well he's really not blue anymore, I've renamed him Colonel Gold
The amazing Curly! even though Curly is a boy after all, no need to change the name!
dear little Party, will his feathers ever grow?!
Not my chick but rather sweet I thought!
I'm being realistic, I know there's not much chance of all the boys finding homes,
I will try but in the meantime they're having a nice free range life even if it will
probably be a short one for some of the boys.
--Immanuel Kant
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Better Colonel Gold than the other one yike* (shh you know the one i mean) They are such funny looking(sorry)but cute little things and wow those feathers are something else, lovely bambinos :-D Lindaxx
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

ooh this is difficult for a softy like me! I've decided its time for the housechicks to
sleep outside in their run, they love coming indoors at night & I've loved hearing their
soft chirping as they slept in the cage under a big towel, but they're getting messy
& they have enough feathers now. I've shut them in their little run, put their favourite
perching box in their coop with a heatpad to snuggle against, & left them to work
it out! I'm watching them running up & down the run crying & staring at me
accusingly. I just want to go out there & give them a cuddle, but I wont weaken!
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Well let this be a warning to anyone thinking of hatching for fun, think carefully about
the boys, even if like me you think you have somewhere for them to go! My friend
is no longer able to take them now as she's had some disasters with her own flock & has to get things under control before she can take any more in. So I'm having to try &
find homes for them myself, in the meantime I now have 15 chooks including 5 cockerels running round my garden, which is rather to many!
Last night I left my son to put them all away, I came home from a night out to find Berty,Patrick & Houdini sleeping on a chair in the conservatory and Curly asleep on his lap! Curly is becoming quite a character, every night he goes to bed in a bushy tree &
we have to climb in and get him out, he's also decided he fancies Bonny, my large
brahma hen & he keeps trying to jump on her - imagine the sight, he is so tiny & she
is enormous! She just shakes him off & chases him down the garden!
I've decided this will be the last time I hatch, so I'll also have a barely used incubator
and electric hen to rehome, perhaps I'll give them away with each cockerel! hmmm!
--Immanuel Kant