Getting back to it...

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
plot45b
Learner Laner

Getting back to it...

Post by plot45b »

I've been out of work for the past 18 months due to being diagnosed with bipolar type 1, social anxiety disorder and agoraphobia.

Before all this I ran a successful, but stressful, business.

I'm now getting to the point where I can manage most of my problems, but still have some way to go. I volunteer in a charity shop twice a week and work in an organic gardens twice a week too - this is therapeutic horticulture to help with my recovery so no pay.

In a few months I want to start a project where I'd start off small and earn about £90 a week self employed. I know that this isnt much, but it will be a start and will help boost my confidence.

Thing is... I'm not sure what I could do! I have built animal houses before out of reclaimed wood which I enjoyed.

Has anyone else got any tips, ideas or suggestions what I could do?

At home we have started to grow our own veg on the allotment and home veg plot, we have got our weekly shop down to £50 including nappies and cleaning stuff, we bake all our own bread and have just done the electric and gas switching thing to save £90 a year. I also shop for all my clothes at the local charity warehouse where all garments are just a £1. The three of us are veggies too which makes things cheaper!

Any fugal tips will also be much appreciated.

Cheers
p.penn

Re: Getting back to it...

Post by p.penn »

Hello and welcome to the lane )wav(

It certainly sounds as if you have done quite a lot in the frugal stakes already! Sorry, I have to dash off to work, but hopefully there will be some good suggestions for you.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Hi

Sorry to hear you've had a hard time but with your great attitude, things will hopefully look up )t'

What about taking up a stall at a local farmers market? You could sell fresh veg from your allotment (can you get another allotment to double your capacity?), even bake and sell bread. I'm not sure what licences etc you would need to sell home made food, but if you enjoy baking it may be worth a look into...

Then you could also advertise on your stall the beautiful, hand crafted animal houses made individually to order :-D
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hey well done you. I am glad you are on the up and up.
No ideas I am afraid I am not too practical, but I am sure someome will give you some.
Enjoy your new life
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Firstly, it's great to hear you're on the road to recovery after your illness {hug}
Lucy's suggestion of a farmers market sounds great, or maybe combine it with selling plants at car boot sales etc.
Wishing you every success with your health and business plans and don't forget to keep us up to date.
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

plot45b wrote:Thing is... I'm not sure what I could do! I have built animal houses before out of reclaimed wood which I enjoyed.

Hiya. Sounds like you are doing pretty well.

I think there would be a market for well-built animal housing from recycled materials. Not everyone is as capable as you, the quality and prices of these things in shops and on the net is appalling, and lots of folk like the idea of recycling.

How about posting some pics on here of stuff you have made, for starters, and I'm sure there are people on here who could guide you on marketing and selling them, too. You could do them as commissions, making exactly what individual customers want.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

rhubarb93 wrote: You could do them as commissions, making exactly what individual customers want.

Some people might like a 'made to measure' but for others
A) They don't know what they want but they'll know when they see it
B) They want it NOW

So maybe a good idea to have some ready-made to show customers.
And plenty of recycled material prepared.

When we were looking for a hen house I thought I wanted one I could move round the garden onto fresh grass (I have a bigger house in a fixed run now). So we went to a Poultry Show and tried lifting all the so-called portable housing. And found the only one that we could lift. Then discussed with the maker and he made one for us with a slight modification.

Good Luck.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Well done for pulling yourself back up again. My suggestion is........
I picked up some very cheap clothes a couple of weeks ago from a charity stall at a car boot sale, the woman was almost giving it away, 6 items for £1. Another stall was selling clothes at 10p an item. I got six for 60p. I bought these with the intention of cutting them up for quilting and rag rugging, but when I got them home and inspected further, I found they were all in good condition, some looked like new, and with good labels,

All have been washed, and I have decided some of them are too good to cut up, and I will be wearing them. If you could find something similar at your local car boot sales, it might be worth buying up some cheap stock, washing and ironing it, and reselling at a market. I think the key to good sales is to display your merchandise in an attractive way, clothes look more appealing if they are hanging on a rail in size order rather than in a big heap on the ground.

I like the idea of buying cheap and reselling to make a profit. For the amount of time you put into making things, you never get the true value back in money. But it's up to you, if you enjoy making chicken houses, they could be a good seller.
Ilona
manda

Post by manda »

As a mental health nurse I want to say good on ya that you are managing your health in such a positive and measured way.

Secondly it seems that making bespoke houses could be the thing for you....hutches, chicken houses etc.....KISS method do you what you know and what you know you can do...you can extend to other things down the track maybe but in the meantime you will be able to make that income.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
plot45b
Learner Laner

Post by plot45b »

Massive thanks everyone for the encouragement.

The social anxiety makes everything more difficult. Even popping to the bank this morning made me feel as though I was going to die of panic.

I suppose that building animal houses at home will allow me to build this confidence thing slowly. This also keeps my mind active!

I think that the farmers market would be a massive step for me at the moment. Would be great to aim for that though :)

Right! I'm gonna go and make a small house and see how I get on. Will post results here :)

Thanks again guys.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Just to add my congratulations! On top of making good progress, it seems to me that being open on here about what you can do, what help you need, etc is a very positive step.

Homemade/recycled animal houses does seem like a good idea. As a (recovering) sufferer from social anxiety and panic attacks I know how useful it can be to take someone with you when tackling stressful situations. In my case, the only way I could do the weekly shop was to take a "minder". If there had been online shopping when I was having my problems I would never have left the house. Perhaps this is worth thinking about if you decided to do farmers' markets etc.

Homemade food/home grown veggie etc sell like hot cakes round here. Silly prices are commanded. I think I posted recently that a bog standard carrot cake that I made for a charity stall a couple of weeks ago sold for £3.50. Even allowing for fuel this is a profit of over 200%.

Everyone on the Lane will wish you well. If you need advice or support, this is definitely the place!
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Well done for being so positive, have you thought of making outdoor ferret hutches. When I had my first two ferrets I found someone who made them and they were brilliant.
Good luck with everything and this forum is so good so hope you enjoy being on here.
plot45b
Learner Laner

Post by plot45b »

bmpsands wrote:Homemade food/home grown veggie etc sell like hot cakes round here. Silly prices are commanded. I think I posted recently that a bog standard carrot cake that I made for a charity stall a couple of weeks ago sold for £3.50. Even allowing for fuel this is a profit of over 200%.

Carrot cake?!? Love it. Recipe please ;)

Cheers
perchy

Post by perchy »

)t'

Well done for being so positive, hard isn't it?

If you grow fruit veggies etc maybe some chutneys, jams, maybe you could take them to your gardening job, ask first you just never know.

Butterfly boxes and insect houses for the winter )t'
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Sounds like you are very sensible in your approach to your current situation. Good luck for the future.
Michael