frugal breakfasts.

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

frugal breakfasts.

Post by mrs boodles »

My hubby has to have something to eat breakfast wise now and I am running out of ideas, I make eggs in the usual ways, scrambled, poached and boiled, make toast, he has cereal and grapefruit but its all getting a bit boring.
Would welcome any ideas for frugal breakfasts.
Maggie1

Re: frugal breakfasts.

Post by Maggie1 »

Try eggy toast. Whisk an egg, cut slice of bread in quarters. Dip and soak the quarters in the whisked egg. Then fry till golden brown. It got Kernow back on the road to recovery when his appetite was low.
manda

Post by manda »

Depends what Mr Boodles tastes are but how about adding things to flavour oats...so make things like peanut butter, lemon and poppy seed, coconut flavoured porridge....or whatever other flavours he likes.
Waffles - I make up basic waffles and if I make too many freeze them...all you need to do then is pop them in the toaster and have them with whatever you fancy.
Pancakes
Yoghurt...mix in oats and fruit..I love this I usually put the oats in the night before and they swell then add the fruit the nest morning...it's very filling.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Is he bored with eating it, or are you bored making it?
Personally I'm not awake enough to be bored at breakfast time (but I don't have anyone to make mine - I do like a full English when I'm away, but then hardly eat all day)
Porrige with sultanas. Beans on toast. Tinned tomatoes on toast. Sausage. I haven't costed them so don't know how frugal they are.
When we have soft fruit in the garden I like that in cereal. Stewed fruit instead of grapefruit (apples, prunes, whatever you've grown).
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
perchy

Post by perchy »

Omelette, mushrooms are a good price at the moment, anything you have in the fridge could go in it )t'
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Porridge. As Mo says, with sultanas, or tinned peaches, or any tinned fruit. Bananas, dried apricots, prunes.
Ilona
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Thank you going to be trying these. No Mo he`s not bored with them nor me making them, he has to have something to eat because of tablets he has to take and also he is not eating a lunch at present. Its just nice to give him something a bit different. Appreciate the suggestions from you all.
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

How about making some home-made granola? Not totally frugal with the nuts, but filling so you don't need much for a portion. Very nutritious, too, with less sugar than bought ones. Mix oats with some honey or syrup, oil (walnut is delicious, but not frugal), brown sugar if you want it sweet, spread on baking tray in oven and toast til crunchy. Add whatever dried fruit/nuts/seeds you like. Stores well in air-tight container.
Only trouble is, it tastes so yummy I end up nibbling it, so have had to stop making it!
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Post by Scrambled »

I really like this - you prepare it the night before:

Put some porridge in a cereal bowl and add milk / soya milk / apple juice (whatever your preference), but add quite a bit to make it slightly sloppy.

Chuck in some chopped up dried apricots, or dried cranberries - or any dried fruit you like. If you prefer, use a fresh apple which you grate (skin and all).

Mix in with the porridge mix (I also like to add some cinnamon), cover (I just stick a small plate on top of my bowl) and stick in the fridge, leave it in overnight.

In the morning, you'll find that the porridge and fruit have absorbed a lot of the milk / juice and you should have a really tasty breakfast. I tend to get mine out of the fridge as soon as I get up, so it gets a bit nearer to room temperature and isn't ice-cold from the fridge...and I also sometimes add a little bit of honey, some plain yogurt, some seeds.

You can do anything you like, really - the basis is just porridge left to absorb the milk / juice and whatever else you feel like experimenting with. )t'
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I'm afraid my frugal breakfast is no breakfast, I get up and just get into things unless I'm at work where I get a freebie.

If I do, it's usually late AM and like Perchy, it's something around eggs, either scrambled or poached with a couple of slices of Granary Bread which I love.

If you keep chickens, unless you've paid an extortionate amount in initial costs, it's certainly a frugal job.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Crumpets? Often cheap in the supermarkets, as is porridge. Things on toast - tomatoes & mushrooms, creamy mushrooms, mashed banana & cottage cheese, baked beans, peanut butter & cottage cheese, cheese combos with e.g. onion, ham, chives etc. Someone gave an eggy bread recipe - great for stale bread.
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

If he is missing lunch then there is no reason why he can't have lunch things for breakfast.
Left overs are frugal and make good cold meals, like pasta salads or rice. Or toasted sandwiches.
Or make something like kedgeree and freeze in portion sizes to get out for breakfast.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!