Hay fever

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
p.penn

Hay fever

Post by p.penn »

On saturday I thought I was going down with a cold as I had a horrendous sore throat and indeed this turned into sniffles and, what I would probably term a 'summer cold'. However, it is still going and I still feel a bit rough. My nose was just dripping last night - so much so that I didn't go to choir!

I guess I must have hay fever (although I am not usually affected by it) and should take some anti histamines, but I am not sure about them. Surely, if you deliberately lower your immune system, this leaves you open to other things? They can't be good for you, can they?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Re: Hay fever

Post by rhubarb93 »

Sorry to hear you are suffering from the dreaded pollen allergy. Antihistamines don't suppress your immune system - they just neutralise the histamine released by allergic reaction.
But the ones that don't cause drowsiness generally don't work that well.
There is a natural remedy that works for me, and is worth a try - no drowsiness.
It is called Combination H Tissue Salt remedy, and you can buy it from health shops. Follow the instructions on the pack and take 4 every 1/2 hour for the first 3 doses - it seems like a lot, but it stimulates the body to deal with the allergy.
Hope you feel better soon.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

eat local honey, it worked a bit for me... unless they have lots of those oilseed things, they make my eyes itch.
Bah Humbug
perchy

Post by perchy »

saint-spoon wrote:eat local honey, it worked a bit for me... unless they have lots of those oilseed things, they make my eyes itch.

Local honey is good, but I think you have to eat it for quite some time before it starts to work with hay fever, to get use to the pollen etc in the area,

I may have dreamt that >dum<
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

perchy wrote:
saint-spoon wrote:eat local honey, it worked a bit for me... unless they have lots of those oilseed things, they make my eyes itch.

Local honey is good, but I think you have to eat it for quite some time before it starts to work with hay fever, to get use to the pollen etc in the area,

That seems to ring a bell with me too Perchy )t'

The pollen has been awful the last few weeks - even Izzy is suffering this year and that's really unusual for her. Antihistamines are odd things... one type can work brilliantly for someone and not someone else etc etc. Good old fashioned piriton works well for both Alex and Izzy (although sends them to sleep) but doesn't do a thing for me. Having tried almost every single over the counter one with no success, I've been on fexofendine from the GP for the last few years and it's generally very good (although struggling a bit at the moment).

One day a couple of weeks back, my eyes were so swollen, hot and itchy that I ended up filling up the sink with freezing cold water and keeping my head under while breathing through one of the kids snorkels for half an hour {rofwl}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
perchy

Post by perchy »

Mad Chick wrote:
perchy wrote:

That seems to ring a bell with me too Perchy )t'

The pollen has been awful the last few weeks - even Izzy is suffering this year and that's really unusual for her. Antihistamines are odd things... one type can work brilliantly for someone and not someone else etc etc. Good old fashioned piriton works well for both Alex and Izzy (although sends them to sleep) but doesn't do a thing for me. Having tried almost every single over the counter one with no success, I've been on fexofendine from the GP for the last few years and it's generally very good (although struggling a bit at the moment).

One day a couple of weeks back, my eyes were so swollen, hot and itchy that I ended up filling up the sink with freezing cold water and keeping my head under while breathing through one of the kids snorkels for half an hour {rofwl}

{rofwl} The funny thing is I can see you doing that like it was quite normal!!!
tamk23
Legendary Laner

Post by tamk23 »

Know how you feel, I've suffered badly with hayfever since the age of 13. I took everything going and nothing gave me any relief until I found a chemist selling a Allergy Reliever. It has two probes on it that goes up each nostril and works by an infra red light, I can honestly say it works 100% for me as I no longer have a runny nose, itchy eyes etc. Hubby has also got one and it works for him as well.

Most people say it works however, you do get a few that it hasn't worked for. If you buy it from the chemist online it's on special offer for £9.99 :-D
Tammy xxx

Mum to two girls Violet and Iris and Hubby! 7 chickens, Easter, Bunny, Daisy, Tulip, Primrose, Buttercup, Snowdrop, 2 silkie chicks Teddy & Rainbow. 1 cat, Gromit. 2 gerbils cheese and onion, 2 guinea pigs Bangers & Mash and my Min Pin puppy Betty. RIP my little Casserole, Hotpot & Stew x Goodnight to my wonderful cat Chance and my wonderful dog Hamish xx
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

{rofwl}

I'm another recent sufferer, I've only had it for the last 2 years and I find tessco's own cheapest brand of anti histamine works for me.
As others have said, I think it's a case of finding whichever treatment works for you.

Hope you can get some relief soon Helen, before the scorching hot summer we're going to have >fi<
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

And Boots are doing an own brand 10mg Loratadine for 99p/week's worth. They were also on a twofer, so I stocked up.

It doesn't go away, I find. But it is relieved. Good luck finding something that works for you.
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

My hay fever started at the age of 14, a year after I started smoking. I was a slave to it but only in the UK. Since I stopped smoking it has got progressively better and now the nasal spray I get on prescription (beconase) and a slosh out of the eyes with a glug of Operation Tyrannosaurus Rex keeps it under control. To be honest I only do the nose squirt thing when it is forecast to be polleny.

OK hands up, who hasn't worked out Operation Tyrannosaurus Rex yet?
Bah Humbug
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

rhubarb93 wrote:There is a natural remedy that works for me, and is worth a try - no drowsiness.
It is called Combination H Tissue Salt remedy, and you can buy it from health shops. Follow the instructions on the pack and take 4 every 1/2 hour for the first 3 doses - it seems like a lot, but it stimulates the body to deal with the allergy.

I was out on a walk this afternoon, and towards the end of the walk, thankfully, my nose started streaming, one of my eyes got sore and watery, and the eyelid on the other one began to itch.
Took 4 Combi H when I got home, and within a couple of minutes it all went away. It's like magic for me. Don't care if it is placebo effect if it works.
If you are having trouble finding something that works for you, do give it a try. I've given it to friend who have colds, and it has worked for them for that too.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I didn't want to try tablets today in case they made me drowsy as I have been working this evening and have to be at work again by 7am tomorrow yike*

It feels a little better today on the whole, although I have had a few streaming moments! I still feel very fuzzy too! I am still hoping it is just a passing weird coldy thing.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

tamk23 wrote:Allergy Reliever. It has two probes on it that goes up each nostril and works by an infra red light

I've got one of those )t'

Over the years I have had terrible problems with hay fever and tried almost everything. At one point I needed an inhaler. But last couple of years I have been nowhere as bad as I used to be. I wonder if you can just grow out of it.
Michael
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

When I was about 6 years old I had runny nose, sore eyes etc and the doctor told my mum it was hayfever and prescribed anti-hystermines. However she asked for a second opinion when I was still the same in December and they found out I was suffering from a viral infection }hairout{
Dom
Ali Woks My World