Getting back to it...

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Re: Getting back to it...

Post by bmpsands »

I thought of you when I was out yesterday. A chap was selling "bug hotels". He was shown how to make them when in prison, but now makes useful money selling them at car boots. I can't describe them, other than that they were the size and shape of a bird box but had tiny cylinders, ridges in various directions. I bet there's something on the internet. With bird boxes, ferret homes, bee tubes you could have quite a good range of smaller items for people with limited resources but an interest in ecology.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
perchy

Post by perchy »

bmpsands wrote:I thought of you when I was out yesterday. A chap was selling "bug hotels". He was shown how to make them when in prison, but now makes useful money selling them at car boots. I can't describe them, other than that they were the size and shape of a bird box but had tiny cylinders, ridges in various directions. I bet there's something on the internet. With bird boxes, ferret homes, bee tubes you could have quite a good range of smaller items for people with limited resources but an interest in ecology.

Those are the kind I suggested, have seen some lovely triangular ones, filled with canes, some hollow, and straw, a few bits of broken slates on the side or they may have been roof tiles, look it up, and they are affordable for all )t'
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Plot 45b - This is my favourite carrot cake recipe.

8 oz flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
4 oz butter
4 oz clear honey
4 oz Demerara sugar (but I actually use soft brown)
8 oz grated carrot
1oz chopped nuts

Mis everything together, put into a greased tin and cook for 1 hour at G4ish, 180 degrees.

If you want to faff about, make topping using cream cheese, butter, icing sugar and lemon. I don't usually bother - but for the stall I did this and grated a little carrot on top. Usually, I just sprinkle some of the brown sugar on.

If you like, and I do, you can add a little cinnamon or even nutmeg. I tried ginger, but this was less successful.

Enjoy.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
plot45b
Learner Laner

Post by plot45b »

bmpsands wrote:I thought of you when I was out yesterday. A chap was selling "bug hotels". He was shown how to make them when in prison, but now makes useful money selling them at car boots. I can't describe them, other than that they were the size and shape of a bird box but had tiny cylinders, ridges in various directions. I bet there's something on the internet. With bird boxes, ferret homes, bee tubes you could have quite a good range of smaller items for people with limited resources but an interest in ecology.

I love this idea and am getting quite excited by the opportunities!

Thank you so much!
plot45b
Learner Laner

Post by plot45b »

bmpsands wrote:Plot 45b - This is my favourite carrot cake recipe.

8 oz flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
4 oz butter
4 oz clear honey
4 oz Demerara sugar (but I actually use soft brown)
8 oz grated carrot
1oz chopped nuts

Mis everything together, put into a greased tin and cook for 1 hour at G4ish, 180 degrees.

If you want to faff about, make topping using cream cheese, butter, icing sugar and lemon. I don't usually bother - but for the stall I did this and grated a little carrot on top. Usually, I just sprinkle some of the brown sugar on.

If you like, and I do, you can add a little cinnamon or even nutmeg. I tried ginger, but this was less successful.

Enjoy.

Guess what I'm baking this weekend? ;)
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi,

So sorry to learn of your difficulties.

On the grow your own front there's some money to made from what you can make from it ie. Chutneys, Relishes etc. It's the amount you need to grow to do it of course and any money coming in from it is a bit seasonal.

Don't forget making use of the freebies; Fruit and things like wild Horseradish.

I've done all sorts of things to earn money (see these pages

Diversity and frugality combined is the key I think, I've been rock bottom but by wheeling and dealing, dodging and diving (in a legal manner) I've got through it.

The other thing you mention is recycling - certainy adding the word 'pallet' to something appeals to many people, saying you got the material for free won't detract anyone from the finished product, quite a lot would love to tell their mates the new Garden Table they like is actually made from Pallets, shows enterprise plus the recycling worthiness of it.

Good luck, it isn't easy, but there are ways to survive if you like.

I'd just finish by repeating the importance of diversity, don't put your eggs all in one basket, it's the pennies that make the pounds.

Please keep us up to date on your progress, it would be most interesting.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
plot45b
Learner Laner

Post by plot45b »

Thanks for these words Richard.

I actually think the same as you, that I should spread money 'money inlets' around a bit. So far I am considering simple things like,

● Small poultry houses that are basic, strong and affordabke for all
● Bug houses for sale on facebook, gumtree and possibly boot sales when the confidence is there
● Selling off spare sourdough starter. I have just acquired a 14 year old San-Fan starter which I could sell the surplus on ebay.
● Sell oyster mushrooms to local restaurants which I am growing on old coffee grouns from said restaurants - already had interest from one :)

Cheers
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Go you! Love the mushrooms on coffee grounds idea.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

I am really impressed with your positivity plot45b, well done I do sincerely hope it all works out. take care.
plot45b
Learner Laner

Post by plot45b »

mrs boodles wrote:I am really impressed with your positivity plot45b, well done I do sincerely hope it all works out. take care.

So am I sometimes :)

Some days can still be an almost total write-off, but its generally going in the right direction!

Thanks
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

As long as you spend those days thinking, they can be quite worthwhile !

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

I have just caught up with this and I think you are well on the way to recovery ...Who needs a stressful job anyway ? There are so many benefits of a different lifestyle .
I think the chicken houses are a great idea ! I have two wooden ones of which I am really happy with but would like a little bit more thought into getting into them to clean as an example .. A designer scheme maybe?
We make all our own bread and have the chickens ands make jams chutneys and also flavoured oils from herbs . are not allowed to sell the vegetables from our allotments but are able to sell jams etc., we have made from them.
We don't really sell these or our eggs from the chickens but we swap for things we have not got .For instance we planted our potatos late so swapped 6 eggs for some new potatoes from a mates allotment . Some of my strawberries for 3 tomato plants .

Good luck to you . )t'
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
plot45b
Learner Laner

Post by plot45b »

Thank you Jackian! :)
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Hi P45 )wav( I thought id already wellcomed you but haddnt sorry,but anyhow im sure you will enjoy dtl theres all sorts and a wide variety of topics.
Well done on your recovery of your health so far and your positive and upbeat attitude )t'
Iv no ideas to add to the other great ones but would just like to wish you sucssess in your venture {hug} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
plot45b
Learner Laner

Post by plot45b »

Thanks Linda!