Young rescued cockerels in need of good homes (Yorkshire)

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
D bythesea
Learner Laner

Young rescued cockerels in need of good homes (Yorkshire)

Post by D bythesea »

I am posting in the hope that somebody may be able to help. I am a school caretaker and, much to my dismay, the nursery school adjacent to my school site have hatched a number of chicks. The majority of the chicks are female and it has been arranged for these to be taken away from the school at the end of this week to somewhere where they will be raised to become egg laying adults. The male chicks, however, are deemed of no use and it is my understanding that if they are taken away with the female chicks, they will be destroyed. I find this heart-breaking but am unable to keep the cockerels myself due to only having a relatively small garden and adjoining neighbours. I am aware that such atrocities occur on a much larger scale throughout the farming industry, and this is one of the many reasons my wife and I are both vegan. Whilst we sadly cannot save all such animal victims, we feel that we must try and help these few. We are looking for someone with more land who might be willing to take in one or more of the three cockerel chicks in the hope that they will be able to live out their natural lives without cruel human intervention. We have been advised not to transport the chicks until they are 6 weeks old and are therefore planning to raise them ourselves for the next 5 weeks. If anyone might be able to take one or more after this, please contact me for further details. I believe the chicks to be non specific hybrids. We are located in East Yorkshire but would be willing to help with transportation to a good home. I will keep posting over the next few weeks with regard to the chicks' progress. Any advice gratefully accepted.

redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Re: Young rescued cockerels in need of good homes (Yorkshire

Post by redd_angel55 »

Sorry, I can't help, but fully understand your dilemma! It's such a shame, but unfortunately most back garden hen keepers are not allowed to keep cockerels :?
Best of luck in finding those poor boys a loving home! )t'
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x
R.I.P: Ellie, Phoebe, Tikka

Freshstart for hens collection point Aylesbury, Bucks
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

well done for rescuing these little boys good luck finding homes )t' )wav(
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

sadly this is the hard truth that many people refuse to think about when they
decide to hatch. There just aren't homes available for the boys and realistically its
better that they are dispatched kindly than sent auctions & such where their fate
can be far worse. However, knowing it and doing it is something different & I'm
also is your position with 4 boys I've hand raised for someone else and love to bits
but ended up stuck with.
There is a place near Coventry that takes them for "rehoming", but he wont let you
know who they've gone to which makes me rather uneasy about it. You may find
a farmyard that lets them all run together with their flock. Some people give them to a rescue, but they can end up living out their lives stuck in a small run together as its unlikely they'll be rehomed, not much of a life.
Good luck with them, I sincerely hope you find somewhere for them eventually.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant