Going cold turkey on new clothes

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
plot45b
Learner Laner

Going cold turkey on new clothes

Post by plot45b »

Hi all,

I've just blogged about how I went a year without buying any brand new clothes at http://lifeintent.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... w-clothes/

A year that was so successful, that I've continued it :)

Also, a year which gave me loads of bargains.

Anyone else do this?
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Going cold turkey on new clothes

Post by Mo »

A couple of years ago one of the Laners decided to make our Frugal Febuary into a frugal year, and not buy any clothes.
I think she found saggy elastic in underwear a bit of a problem.

Not sure when I last bought clothes. I buy shoes now and then (18 months ago maybe).
I was disgusted at the placard in a shop window I passed today. It said "repeat after me - I deserve new shoes". And the shoes on display were daft impractical things.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Good for you, plot45b )t'
I rarely buy new clothes. Hate shopping and the price of the rubbish on sale, mostly use charity shops where you get excellent choice and value, and you can always redonate anything you find you don't wear. Only shoes get bought new, and not many of those.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

I to very rarely buy new clothes, to much hassle. to expensive and more important things to do.
manda

Post by manda »

Good on you for going for it...stopping and thinking about what we buy in whatever form has always got to be a good thing hasn't it :-D )t'

For everyday wear (for all of us as much as possible) I buy second hand if I can. We have a great discount clothing wear house where everything is $2 !!!

They do have a designer section where you pay more and now and again I will get something from there if it's a real bargain (I bought our boy a small Swanndri jacket for $18 which I've seen for around $250!!!)......I love it when I can get something like that.

Recently (thanks to our Health Board ) I am going to save myself money having to buy clothes for work...they've decided they're going to give us uniforms so they don't have to pay clothing allowance...they will make uniforms available but in return because we now have a choice (I work in mental health) they won't pay for us to wear mufti any more...sooo...I think I will let them buy my work clothes for me....wasn't intentional but hey more $$$ saved.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

I've just gone through all of my clothes. I'll carboot much of the pile. The nicer material I have kept and, once me and the sewing machine agree with each other, I'll make some alterations or remake them entirely.

That's the nice thing about losing weight. I can now also go to one of the posh charity shops and get some good stuff that fits or is too big and can be altered to fit.

I have a lot of stash fabric, mainly Freegled, and so will be making A line and pencil skirts, maybe a wrap dress if I get brave. Cheap tshirts can be modified too, until I get truly barve and start making tops.... I don't do sleeves well :-D

So that's my clothes Frugalled... food next.
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
mariat
Lively Laner

Post by mariat »

I barely ever buy new clothes. Way too expensive for what you get. Charity shops are my best friend, especially the ones in London where my parents live.
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

I buy new clothes so rarely I could probably remember all the ones I have ever brought, even as a child.
We didn't have charity shops so it was hand me downs and jumble sales then, and it has been ever since.
Because I have lost a lot of weight recently I had to get "new clothes". We hit the charity shops and I brought £70 worth yike* . It felt very extravagent but it did buy 5 dresses, 5 skirts, 3 pairs trousers, 2 tops and a blazer.!

On the frugal side I now fit old favourites again and can wear my clothes from the 70s again!
I told a young friend that I was wearing a dress kept from 1977, and she said "You must have an enormous wardrobe". She could not understand that people didn't buy new clothes every week. There weren't many cheap clothes, In fact it used to be cheaper to make your own. I even made my own wedding dress.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!