Should I get rid of duckweed?

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Should I get rid of duckweed?

Post by Kuikentje »

We have a little pond in the garden which is full of wildlife - we do wonder where it has all come from. We want to keep it natural.

This year's duckweed is just starting to appear and I wonder if I should remove some of it before it completely covers the pond. It doesn't seem to do any harm to the plants and creatures but it does spoil the appearance a bit, I like to look through the water to see who's running round under the surface and look at the reflections on the water.

You have to get to it quickly or it completely covers the surface in a matter of days.

Opinions please?
Life's too short to quarrel
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Re: Should I get rid of duckweed?

Post by Homemade »

Keep a small net by the pool and keep scooping it off. As you say it does no ham and is just unsightly.
The french call them "Lentils" cos thats what they look like.
And biology classes use them to show how plants grow because they multiply so fast!

You can even buy a red form -but don't be tempted.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
manda

Post by manda »

Feed the duckweed to the chickens..it's a really good source of protein and free :-D )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I wish I could get rid of mine }hairout{ It has totally strangled my poor little pond {cry}

I have tried everything possible and it is as thick as ever {mr.angry}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

This weather its shade for the pool ,if in full sun water can turn green warm up and loose oxygen any fish life will suffer .If it was me i would leave some for shade and try to stop the water warming up to much.If you suffer with green algie in your pond a small mesh bag of barley straw will soon clear it )t'
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

billnorfolk wrote:This weather its shade for the pool ,if in full sun water can turn green warm up and loose oxygen any fish life will suffer .If it was me i would leave some for shade and try to stop the water warming up to much.If you suffer with green algie in your pond a small mesh bag of barley straw will soon clear it )t'

That's a thought. I am having to top the pond up fairly regularly in this weather. And I never thought of giving it to the chickens (probably because it isn't called 'chickenweed').
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

They won't eat it. Turned their beaks up at it in a very rude manner.