Fishing For Cabbages

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
stewpot
Lively Laner

Fishing For Cabbages

Post by stewpot »

All around our allotment a lot of people use PE pipe and netting for those big hoops over stuff. Well as yet I haven't been able to scrounge any so I decided to improvise over the first cabbages and caulis out.

Its an old fishing keep net. I had this since I was about 10 so now its illegal as mesh too big and knotted so no use for fishing. I just cut up one side through the plastic hoops and hey presto! Cheap brasicas cover. The hoops are very floppy so I stuck some canes through the net to hold them upright.

"Remember as you go through life that a rich man is just a poor man with an incredible amount of money" - Smith & Jones
Stewpots DTL Allotment Diary 2013
perchy

Re: Fishing For Cabbages

Post by perchy »

Brilliant idea, well done you, and it looks so tidy )t'
wendy

Post by wendy »

)t' )t'
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thats what I call thinking outside the box. It looks real good too, well done. )t'
stewpot
Lively Laner

Post by stewpot »

Thanks guys. Going to speak to my dad soon as he might have one or two lurking at his house as well as he used to sell fishing tackle before he retired. It willl have to come off when brasicas get much bigger as I think it will be too low. But hopefully by then will have done its job and plants big and healthy.

Might see also if can use more flexibly if take net of hoops for next year. We shall see. It is amazing how you start to see bnew uses for so much stuff.
"Remember as you go through life that a rich man is just a poor man with an incredible amount of money" - Smith & Jones
Stewpots DTL Allotment Diary 2013
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Good idea, re use, re cycle. Make sure the flutterbyes don't get through the net though. I covered my brassicas in fine mesh net curtains last year, and the blighters still found a way in. I have given up trying to grow leafy veg now.
Ilona