Insurance

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
p.penn

Insurance

Post by p.penn »

I got my car insurance renewal a few days ago, and it had gone up from £45 pm to £48 so I thought I would check to see if I could get it any cheaper.

Anyway, went onto the mear cat site and OMG - £12.50 pm for more or less the same cover with M ar c & S p enc (no breakdown cover automatically included, but that would only be a couple of pounds a month if I wanted it). I was absolutely delighted and really couldn't believe it, although actually afterwards I felt cross with myself that I hadn't done it before }hairout{

So, the moral of this story is to check the market every time you get an insurance renewal notice. I certainly will.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Insurance

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Have you ever tried Mini's own insurance. Ali has her Mini insured through them and is very pleased with the deal. Might be worth a look.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
wendy

Post by wendy »

Ooo never pay on the renewal slip. Always shop around.

Well done )t'
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
perchy

Post by perchy »

I have just done the same, mine was £437 and it is now £207, no breakdown cover but there are deals to be had with that too, I am now awaiting for the house insurance ready for renewal )t'
wendy

Post by wendy »

)t'
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Panteg Produce
Legendary Laner

Post by Panteg Produce »

p.penn wrote:I got my car insurance renewal a few days ago, and it had gone up from £45 pm to £48 so I thought I would check to see if I could get it any cheaper.

Anyway, went onto the mear cat site and OMG - £12.50 pm for more or less the same cover with M ar c & S p enc (no breakdown cover automatically included, but that would only be a couple of pounds a month if I wanted it). I was absolutely delighted and really couldn't believe it, although actually afterwards I felt cross with myself that I hadn't done it before }hairout{

So, the moral of this story is to check the market every time you get an insurance renewal notice. I certainly will.

May I ask which company you insured with?
Live a simple life and be happy , Rich.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

The c ompar ison site was c om par e the marrket.com (obviously wrong spelling!) and the company I actually insured with was mmmm an d sssss.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
mariat
Lively Laner

Post by mariat »

Never ever renew any insurance without shopping around first. The insurance companies will give you a good deal for the first year, then up your premium and hope that you are too lazy to search for a better deal when it's time to renew.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Good advice mariat )t' )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Just a little postscript to this thread, and absolutely nothing to do with frugality, but I really wanted to mention it.

The co mpa rison site I used has a promotion of certain cat toys ....m e er ones.... I am sure you have all seen the ads! Well, I have to say that I would have been proud to have been part of the 'think tank' on this one. The e mails I have received regarding my toy have absolutely left me rocking with laughter. I can track it by a video thing - and for a while (I guess until it was verified) it showed it being waved off in a wheelbarrow in the small village...at the moment it has arrived in Dover and is with the post cat! So incredibly clever, extremely funny and so imaginative!

Well done them!!
Helen xx

Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

The little toys are hysterical, aren't they. The last one we received sent an email to say that it had fallen off its bike into a canal in Amsterdam!
perchy

Post by perchy »

perchy wrote:I have just done the same, mine was £437 and it is now £207, no breakdown cover but there are deals to be had with that too, I am now awaiting for the house insurance ready for renewal )t'

I have received my annual quote for home insurance, paying monthly x 12 all in £800 per annum, I have been on comparison websites and decided to go with tes and co, so I rang my provider to tell them I was no longer going to insure the home contents and buildings with them, when asked why I told them it was far too expensive and that I had been on different sites and could get the same excluding a bicycle for the £210, the lady who was very nice asked if I knew about their genuine match policy, of course I hadn't heard of it I am sure it is printed by elves somewhere )grin2( anyway the long and short of it is they are matching my quote, in fact £10 cheaper £200 included the bicycle, on the one hand I have saved £600 per year and am thrilled )c( on the other hand now I have had time to think about it I am furious that they would have happily taken the £800.
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Perchy, that is what really annoys me, that companies will take money from you without offering you a better deal, but will drop the price when you tell them you are switching }hairout{ }hairout{
[center][/center]Davina
perchy

Post by perchy »

davina112 wrote:Perchy, that is what really annoys me, that companies will take money from you without offering you a better deal, but will drop the price when you tell them you are switching }hairout{ }hairout{

I have really got a bee in my bonnet about this now, how can they do it, I think I was so flabbergasted that I just didn't really take on board the bigger picture, obviously I am pleased exactly the same policy including a bicycle £600 cheaper, but like you say if I hadn't had a look around the web I wouldn't have had a quote to give them, and it would have stayed at the original renewal }hairout{

When I told her I was leaving because it was far too expensive she said she was disgusted at her fuel going up yike*