A....di products

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Re: A....di products

Post by Kuikentje »

I did develop a bit of a conscience about the A...i fruit & veg, including tinned, a few years ago when I found that the prices were being kept low by the low wages paid to the people picking/gathering them, including illegal immigrants in other countries - over against that is the argument that these people wouldn't be employed at all if it weren't for these jobs, so take your pick, I suspect many of us can't afford to be so particular at the moment, so no judgements implied. And I speak as a person who has bought clothes from Primark.

I am very lucky because right across the road from where I work is an old-fashioned greengrocer's, where the produce is a lot cheaper and a lot fresher than you normally get in supermarkets. She hasn't even got a card machine, you have to pay cash (or cheque) and she adds up in front of you on a piece of paper and counts the change back into your hand, in the manner I consider correct (I actually think it rather rude when assistants just plonk all the change into your hand, even if they do state aloud what they are giving you). Not the fault of modern shop assistants, of course, it's all part of the automated you-don't-have-to-think-but-at-least-the-arithmetically-challenged-can-get-a-job-in-a-shop culture. However I find the best supermarket for fruit, veg and bakery is the Son of Morris. The non-food products are fine from A...i and as good as any of the more expensive brands.
Life's too short to quarrel
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

perchy wrote:On the flier tonight they had a 40 year old single Malt Whisky called Glenbridge a speyside whisky for £49.99, when you work it out it is just over a £1 a year :- >fi<

Well, that's one way of looking at it, I suppose {rofwl}
Life's too short to quarrel
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Kuikentje wrote:
perchy wrote:On the flier tonight they had a 40 year old single Malt Whisky called Glenbridge a speyside whisky for £49.99, when you work it out it is just over a £1 a year

Well, that's one way of looking at it, I suppose

How many £ a minute once you get it home?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

A new A..... di is being buit a few miles from us, looks as if it will be larger than the one where we do our weekly shop. Yes, we are still pleased with our shop, though we cannot get everything we need and have to do a portion of our list in T..... co.

I did try the wash powder, but it didn't dissolve on a cold wash, so went back to T.....co's own brand, and the smell of the washing up liquid makes me feel sick, so I use E.....ver, which I love.

With all the TV ads A.....di is getting rather busy where we shop!
mariat
Lively Laner

Post by mariat »

I usually shop at T***os and buy a few bits at Lidl, but after reading this thread I'm gonna have a go at Aldi tomorrow. They keep winning Which Supermarket of the Year, so they must be good. And these days, every little helps!
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Mariat - we started off buying the A....di cholesterol reducing drinks as recommended by the diabetic nurse. Then we bought their milk, margarine, cheese, and so on. If ours were a larger store, we would be able to get a full shop there, but we get the rest in T...co. Hope you are pleased with your full shop.
mariat
Lively Laner

Post by mariat »

We didn't get time to go to Aldi in the end, it's at the other end of town. I'll make more time for my next shop.
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Al...di cooked prawns are tasty and also the basa fish fillets are lovely and tasty baked in foil with lemon juice, lovely texture too.
I have tried other white fish and thought the river cobbler tasteless and mushy and wasnt impessed with coley so im well pleased with this tasty discovery )t'

Ido alot of shopping at al....di now with just a few bits i cant get, my son also has a liiiddl in his town not al...di and he find that good too.
We have heard that the two and also neeto are conected ..does anyone know if thats right? )t' Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx