Pallets - they don't die easily!!!

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
manda

Re: Pallets - they don't die easily!!!

Post by manda »

That's what we like to hear )grin2(
Hi there and welcome to the Lane )wav(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
mariat
Lively Laner

Post by mariat »

alsationsam wrote:I would love to have a lorry load of pallets delivered for free. Oh the uses I can come up with let alone the free fuel.
Think I will have to look into this.

Until this year, we had truck loads, about 60 pallets, delivered. The delivery man was paid to take them from some firm, and we gave him his petrol costs for delivery. Two loads were enough to feed our woodburner all winter. Problem is, he has now stopped doing it and I can't find anyone else round here. So looks like we'll freeze next winter!
mike943
Learner Laner

Post by mike943 »

I have been a pallet nut for years, they are so useful for making things. If I was on my own I would make a table out of pallets. The wood is so tough. The way I take them to bits is by crowbar if they are wet cos they come apart better. If they are dry I use an old border spade that I had cut in half and welded the two halves at right angles. I sharpened the tip of the spade a bit so it will get in where the wood is joined when I whack it with a club hammer it. More often than not the spade cuts right through the nails or drags them right out of the wood. Always works. Or it can be done the lazy way as my son does, he just runs the jigsaw across and uses the leftover bits for his wood burning stove. Near to me there is a place where you can pick up pallets all day and every day, they can't wait to be rid of them. Just love them and will be building my soon to be bantam coop from them. I am lucky enough to have a trailer (another must for me) and pick up about 10 or so and take them apart at my leisure and store the planks in the chicken run where it is nice and dry.

Mike
mariat
Lively Laner

Post by mariat »

You are so lucky to have access to free pallets near you. We used to get a delivery of about 50 for £15. Two deliveries fed our wood burner and kept us warm all winter, but the seller has decided to stop selling them, so this year we are gonna feel the cold {cry}
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken drumstick »

I am a pallet scab and proud of it )w(

Made many a diy project out of them , have you seen the price of timber in wickes lately and the quality is cack , you can get the odd pallet here and there by asking a local builder / landscape Gardener for any off a project there on , they only end up in there skip they are happy to give them away to save skip space as many are non returnable .
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Too right, I have Pallets in all sorts of places at home.

I find them very good to put potted vegetables on. Keeps them off the ground and looks quite tidy, especially the pallets with no gaps on top.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Found a few videos on how to dismantle a pallet without breaking it .

Hope it helps you Laners )t'

I think with both methods its proceed with caution and keep yourself safe {hug}

[youtube]O7oWaRPpdKU[/youtube]

[youtube]nF--4CVsFXw[/youtube]
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

This is fab !

[youtube]WxKCS2JKEY0[/youtube]