Getting rid of plantains

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Getting rid of plantains

Post by Spreckly »

Each year our garden throws up masses of different weeds. This year we have an infestation of plantains.

We used to have them in our gravel drive, but after much uprooting, they seem to have decamped to our back lawn. They are never allowed to seed, OH sees to that with the lawnmower, but today, I have carried around twenty kettles full of boiling water and drowned them. I still have another patch to blitz. Weedkiller will destroy what grass we have - we also have a lot of daisies - and we are wondering about the kind of weed killer which is just spotted onto the leaf of the plantain.

I know that a sharp pointed knife and a lot of patience would get rid of them, but my knees won't survive that. So, I wonder if anyone has any ideas on how to rid ourselves of the menace.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Re: Getting rid of plantains

Post by billnorfolk »

Spreckly wrote:Each year our garden throws up masses of different weeds. This year we have an infestation of plantains.

We used to have them in our gravel drive, but after much uprooting, they seem to have decamped to our back lawn. They are never allowed to seed, OH sees to that with the lawnmower, but today, I have carried around twenty kettles full of boiling water and drowned them. I still have another patch to blitz. Weedkiller will destroy what grass we have - we also have a lot of daisies - and we are wondering about the kind of weed killer which is just spotted onto the leaf of the plantain.

I know that a sharp pointed knife and a lot of patience would get rid of them, but my knees won't survive that. So, I wonder if anyone has any ideas on how to rid ourselves of the menace.

Hi Spreckly

Would a lawn feed with weedkiller applied in the spring when these things are growing strong not take care of them ,it is sometimes the time of year when applied that makes them work better.You will end up with bare patches but a scattering of seed, i allways put a light dusting of compost over the top of the seed ,keep watered if dry and should be looking better by mid summer ,hopefully )t'
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thank you for your advice Bill. We've got such a long back garden, that OH has always decreed that it would cost a fortune to put any lawn feed on. And we've missed the boat for this year, but the little blighters have only appeared en masse recently. First chore this morning is another few kettles full of boiling water. The ones I have treated have gone black already.
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

We get them all over the allotments, but I like a few on mine. They're the best thing for nettle stings! yike*
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money.
- Pablo Picasso
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thought it was dock leaves for nettle stings, Mallard.

Well the plantain job has fallen flat on its face. This morning, I saw that the little beasts were re-growing. We are now talking Weed and Feed.

The trails of bare patches on our lawn are not to OH's liking.
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

Spreckly wrote:Thought it was dock leaves for nettle stings, Mallard.

Well the plantain job has fallen flat on its face. This morning, I saw that the little beasts were re-growing. We are now talking Weed and Feed.

The trails of bare patches on our lawn are not to OH's liking.

Plantain works quicker than dock!
But I still keep hoeing them out. )t'
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money.
- Pablo Picasso