Kitty's hatching adventure

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Kitty's hatching adventure

Post by kitla »

Well someone wants Goldy & miss Brown, I wish it was someone closer so I could see
how they get on, they never leave eachothers side so I hope they're kept together...
worry worry.. :oops:
Now I'll concentrate on Curly, he really needs some hennies of his own, he chooses to
sleep outside in the run on his own rather than in the (rather crowded) coop & he
looks so lonely. My real problem is Berty! every evening he hops into the house
(by that I mean our house not the hen house!) with Patrick & Houdini, I give them
a few mealworms, then Berty enjoys a cuddle snuggling his head inside my cardi,
then I carry him up to the run with Patrick & H running behind us & put them to bed.
My problem? ...how am I going to bear to part with Berty?! would it drive us nuts
to have 2 cockerels? Smidge doesn't seem too bothered (yet!) & Berty is quite timid
with the other chooks. Perhaps he'll have to stay until I've found him the perfect home.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant

Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Kitty iv a lump in my throat reading about Bertys cardi cuddles, i know i would just have to take a chance on trying to live with 2 boys. :-D
Anyway when you think about it logically you probably wont find the perfect home for him will you?(look into my eyes, you are felling very sleepy etc etc) {rofwl} Lindaxx

Forgot to say great news for the love birds :-D
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Oh my! someone local has offered to home all 6 babies, they have a mix of big & small
all free ranging & often take on unwanted chooks. I need to decide this evening so
I can take them tomorrow. Its great news I should be delighted, but I feel so sad,
Berty, Houdini & Patrick are looking at me now, oops Berty has just hopped into the
conservatory and settled down on the dog mat...and left me a little present! )grin2(
Perhaps I should just take the other 3 tomorrow & hang on to these 3 for one more
week, if this lady is genuine she surely wont mind that.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Aw Kitty what a dillema but i do agree with what you say about the lady and it does sound very nice and an ideal home for the babies :-D

I dont envy you having to decide what to do,does the lady keep them or does she rehome if people ask, also will you be able to visit them if you would like too. {hug} {hug} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

All my babies are gone now (except Goldy & brown - going next week) and my
garden is sooo empty and quiet! Especially as 3 of my girls are broody atm. It was
so noisy when Curly, Berty & Patrick were all on the rockery crowing together,
now they're gone I miss them! !
Curly lives with 6 girls in a huge run in a fantastic allotments, with fruit bushes
hanging into the run & a really nice owner. He was so excited when I put him in
there, he straight away did a little dance for them & called them over to share his
snack.
Berty, Patrick & Houdini have found a chicken paradise garden where they can roam
together with some orpingtons, a few ducks & some wild pheasants - and no foxes
(due to local gamekeeper) Their lovely new owners are vets.
Goldy & Brown are going to a couple that are brand new at chicken keeping & are building a run especially for them now! I expect they'll need lots of advice to start with,
I shall try & get them onto this forum. I'm trying to tame Goldy & Brown a bit before
they go, I've spent so much time fussing over the others I haven't handled these two
atall & though they join in with the others, they wont let me touch them - even at
bedtime. I'm trying to tempt them closer with treats, which starts to work until one
of the others comes barging in & gobbles up all everything! If anyone has any good
ideas to try I'd be grateful?
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

What great news that all the babies have found new homes, and particularly that they can stay together (except Curly, who sounds happy to be heading up his own harem)

I can't give you any suggestions for stopping your other greedy girls getting in the way of Goldy and Brown. Are they separate at all, or can you separate them and try and get treats to them that way? Or maybe it's just a case of spending as much time with you as you can so they get used to being around people more?

I try to scatter treats around a wide-ish area and then wave some underneath my 2 newer chickens noses, it can work until my older 2 notice and charge in (as you said!) but sometimes I get lucky ad my older 2 are off someplace else in the garden and my 2 newer ones are sticking with me - they get sneaky treats then
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper